Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Refund Status says Action Required

Hi guys I need help understanding this.

So basically I filed my Taxes around January 18th, 2024 and got an email back saying that the IRS processed my refund and that it was accepted. It said that the estimate should be for 02/08/2024 which is this week. However, I have been checking throughout all of last week periodically and there never seemed to be issue except to just wait until I get my refund. Today, 02/04/2024 I check the status of my refund and it says:

Refund Status Results

Action Required

Please read the following information related to your tax situation. You may need to provide additional information to receive your full refund.

Problem is, I have not even received any letters from the IRS to verify my identity or anything regarding it. I keep checking on the website from TurboTax and all it says is that my refund is being issued.

Can anyone tell me what I should do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

89 Replies

TurboTax receives no information from the IRS after you file your tax return.  Your only source of information after you file it is the IRS.

To  call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Does that mean I should be receiving a letter soon or should I request one? I am just confused as to why they would ask me for this information without a letter if I have been filing for over 4 years now. Also, it's only because I checked online otherwise I wouldn't have known and still confused if I will even receive my refund at all :(

I also forgot to mention that I was in the verifying process but without the control number I am unable to proceed and can't do anything. Only two options I get is yes - input the number or no and get sent a new one

I ran into the same issue. Filed my taxes on 1-20 and tax accepted on 1-22. Checked the status on the irs tool, and read the exact same thing yours is saying now. But have not received a letter from them either. I called IRS and the lady said just follow the instructions if you received a letter but refused to tell me anything further so calling them was pointless on my end. I believe you call the IRS only if you receive letters in the mail. We may not even receive a letter, they might be able to verify our identity with us having to do anything on our end is what I hope to believe. Let me know if anything changes on your end that way I know too. 

**without us**

Hey thank you so much for your reply!

I was starting to feel like it was only me running into this issue. I was also thinking the same thing after searching different posts and getting the same answer that they really won't help at all without a number. I don't know if I should even call tomorrow. I searched online to even see if there is a way to check for a control number but it seems those are only through mail. This is incredibly frustrating because if we hadn't checked the online tool we couldn't have known and they say to be ready with your control number (?????)

I am also hoping the same that they are able to verify that because as far as I know mine only says accepted. But yes I will be coming back to the post on the estimated date to give an update :(

Keep me posted too please, let me know if you do indeed get your refund by the 8th that way I know I should be getting mine too at the designated time frame given to me without having to verify anything. I tried to do the ID me verification process online but got declined automatic with video call lady due to expired DL and expired Passport. So it’s gonna suck for me if they truly do need us to verify our identities when the letters do come in, if any. Hope not though. 

I was hoping someone here in the community who received this same “action required” issue online would have spoken up and answered this and if it’s truly a cause for concern. 

I think we are just panicking lol trying to do extra **bleep** on our end .. I think I’m gonna leave it alone. If I don’t receive a letter from IRS, then I’m ok. 

To be fair, I am literally thinking the same thing you are lol! maybe it shouldn't be too much of a concern and things will get resolved. My thinking was if it were to be like that then we should have a letter since last week or something (or get a notification/email about it just like when they gave us an update that our return was accepted). I check my mail every single day and never saw anything (I am always checking for letters sent to me) so I know I should be okay).

On another note, I tried the online tool and it gave me a maximum attempts submitted. I was thinking in trying to do the online verification instead but looks like its going to have be until tomorrow. Hopefully I get my refund this week as stated by TurboTax and the IRS. I will be checking periodically for anything as well

Fingers crossed for both! hoping its just panicking and nothing more :'(

If you can do the ID verification online, go ahead and do it. You have the option to do it manually and or video call. If you do it manually, they just need front back of DL or ID non expired. 

I am trying to do that but it doesn't let me go back and verify with someone live :( I went into my IRS account and I have this: Account Status - Your 2023 Tax Return Is Not Processed. I don't know what that means? I am thinking its there because my refund hasn't been delivered or until its updated? I do have the notification for verifying my tax information but when I go to the notices tab I don't have anything. I did add the paperless notices too but its still bank so I am still hoping everything is well? I am unsure at this point

After that who knows .. I never made it past this step lol I have everything expired.  I just think IRS needs to mind their own business and not worry about other departments like dps and dmv. Shouldn’t concern them if people have expired licenses 

I know right? As long as you can verify that you are the person live on the actual webcam and photo but oh well.

I checked my notices again and it says:

View Select Notices Available Online

This page has digital versions of some IRS notices. Please continue to check your postal mail for IRS paper notices not yet available online.

Manage Your Paperless or Email Notification Preferences

View your profile to go paperless or sign up for email notifications when you have new notices available online.

So I guess if they were to send something it would have appeared electronically too? Like I said nothing on notices which the "Identity letter" should have been sent 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies