Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

donaldjsa
Returning Member

Refund 2023

I filed my taxes with Intuit and they were received on December 31, 2023.  A letter was received from the IRS on February 10th stating they needed our form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement and form 1099R Pension form.  Both were sent back via USPS Priority mail and they confirmed receipt.  We filed married Filing Jointly.  Our 2023 taxes were just Social Security for both and my wife's pension from The "Teachers Retirement System Of Georgia" and taking the Standard Deduction.  We live in Ohio Now and have been here for 10 years.  The same IRS letter has been received for the last 3 years.  Payment in the past was made by March 14th.

I check the IRS "Where's My Refund" daily and it shows received but not approved.  Please help us as we are both retired and need the refund.  The refund amount is $5352.00.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Refund 2023

You filed on Dec 31, 2023?  That was way too early.  Did you mail it?  Efile didn't even open until Jan 29 this year.  Did you even have the SSA-1099 and 1099R to enter?  Those don't come out until late January.  And there were lots of program  updates.  Next year don't file so early.  When I filed at the end of February I got  both refunds within 1 week.  

donaldjsa
Returning Member

Refund 2023

I Had both the 1099R and the SSA-1099.  Intuit held till the filing date in January.  I then filed.  It was Efiled with Intuit.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Refund 2023

The IRS takes at least 60 days to process documents sent.  I suggest waiting until at least the end of April to hear back from them.  If nothing by then give the IRS a call at 800-829-1040.  You might also try contacting your local Taxpayer Advocacy Service. Here is a link to help you find contact information for the closest office.  Just enter Ohio in the "State/territory" box and click "Search."  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
donaldjsa
Returning Member

Refund 2023

The IRS letter was received on February 5th for tax year ending December 31st 2023.

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Refund 2023

As DMarkM1 suggested, the best course of action, in this case, is to contact the IRS directly. They are the ones holding your refund. 

If 60+ days haven't elapsed since the IRS received the additional information you sent to them (Notice 12C is a request for additional information), then I suggest you wait till at least 60 days pass, and then call. 

If after you contact the IRS they are not able to help, then use the link that DMarkM1 provided and contact your local Tax Advocacy. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies