Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recieved LTR4464C

Hello I’m someone who was very anxious to receive my tax return and filed very early. I thought I knew what I was doing enough so that me not having all my proper documents yet I could wing it and be ok. January 24 my return was accepted. Since then I have received all my documents. I made a mistake on what I received from the 3rd impact payment. I also did not fully understand the thing about being able to use 2019 taxes if we made more that year. Since I knew I made more that year I started filing using that w2. I’m not smart for this but without me noticing one of my W2 from this year also attached to the return. I believe it like uploaded all the numbers in the spots and everything. So basically I have one W2 from 2019 and one from this year. All and all my income isn’t much different. Today I redid my taxes properly using all the correct info and the only difference in my return is the amount I misstated to do with the impact payment. If it was a perfect world I’d love to just be able to refill properly with my correct information. All the letter says is they are checking the credits I claimed and checking my income. Which both of them are valid for them to check. Is there any chance they can locate my proper paperwork as I have now and just correct my return for me? Or am I being naïve? Am I going to truly regret not waiting as I should have? I have no knowledge of what to do besides I know not to file a new return. I’ve read from others not to do anything until I receive a return or my return is rejected. Is it a good chance that could happen? I’d definitely be ok with that also. I did get turbo tax delux so I have audit help. I apologize this is so long of a question/statement but I wanted to be honest about my situation so I can get the best help. Thanks for any reply’s I receive.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Recieved LTR4464C

So you received a letter from the IRS telling you they found an issue with your return and they are working to correct it?  If so, this means they are likely going to make changes to your return. Until you receive another letter with more instructions do not do anything. The instructions may be that they are making the changes and if you disagree with their findings then you can send in an amended form or if you agree with their findings to do nothing. 

Since you already submitted your return, and it has been accepted by the IRS the only way to make changes is to Amend Your Return You cannot simply refile a return, instead you have to sent the IRS a 1040X to let them know that you made a mistake.  If you do end up needing to file an amended return, you will need to remove the changes you made to your return since you filed so you are starting with all the errors on your return. As you make changes with the 1040x, you will see the difference in refund and income amounts. But, again, do not file anything else until you get the next letter from the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Recieved LTR4464C

I thank you very much for the response. In fact this is what I hope they do. Is just correct my mistakes and go from there. Thankfully I was smart enough not to mess with the return I submitted. For me to understand the refund I’d of gotten if done correctly I opened up a different account and put my information in that way. I’m hoping as they correct it and see the refund amount is similar the realize I wasn’t trying to get what wasn’t mine. I was merely impatient. Which now I regret. Thanks again for your help. I from this point on will be patient. I’ll post how it turns out when it’s corrected.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies