turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received revised 1099-R after filing return and receiving refund. Realized no 1040X was available. Do I somehow undo this amendment or wait until the 1040X is available?

I have the TurboTax 2020 CD version of the software. I completed and filed our return and have received our refund. We just received a revised 1099-R form from our financial advisor. So, I went ahead and amended our tax return with this new information. I noticed the software said amends area is not yet ready, but saw it offered to allow me to continue. After completing the amendment, I realized the message meant there was no 1040X tax form available in TurboTax. My question is, do I need to undo this amendment or just wait until the 1040X form becomes available?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Received revised 1099-R after filing return and receiving refund. Realized no 1040X was available. Do I somehow undo this amendment or wait until the 1040X is available?

You do not have to change your amendment.  You'll just have to wait.  The 1040X is due to be available on 03/25/2011.

Since you have the CD version you can update the software as soon as it is available.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do not rush to amend - no hurry. You have 3 years to amend and amended returns are taking 4-6 months or longer to be processed so waiting a few weeks will make little difference and amending too soon might just compound the problem. (If you amend today you probably will not see the results until August or September).

You should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies