Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ttuser1

Received a letter from FTB with title "Confirm Tax Return Filling"

My federal tax was processed couple of weeks ago without any issues. So it was a surprise. This is a first time I need to handle such kind of request so your help is very much appreciated.

FTB requested me to send them copies of social security cards, ITIN documents, Forms W-2, Forms 1099, a copy of my driver's license or state identification card, and YTD paycheck stubs for my 2016 personal income tax return.

1) Does it mean my tax return is under review and it will delay processing time? What is the average time for the delay?

2) I've submitted a tax return online using TT. In my tax return PDF document online, I don't see any form 1099. Where could I find it? Is it possible I don't have it and need to ignore this specific request from FTB?

3) My driver's license was valid in 2016 but expired on 02/17. I'm not US resident and currently have a pending status in the US. Is it better to send them a copy of the first page of my passport issued by a country of my citizenship? Or better to send a copy of expired DL?

4) What is year-to-date paycheck stubs? My former employer in 2016 used TriNet. I'm able to download PDF documents for each pay stub that was issued 2 times a month. Do I need to download and print all 24 pay stubs for 2016 and send them to FTB or sending only the last pay stub for the middle of December will be sufficient?

5) What is the most reliable way to send it? I was thinging about using USPS Certified Mail or Priority Mail Express, since as I know FedEx and UPS will not accept destination address with PO box.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
harvone

I too received the "Confirm Tax Return Filing" letter from the California Franchise Tax Board. The letter requested copies of driver's licenses, social security cards, pay stubs, etc. Based on some comments in another string about this letter in the community forum, I called the telephone number on the letter. I went through the automated system and then spoke with a live person. She asked me to confirm my name and address. She said she would pull up the return and placed me on hold. After two or three minutes, she said she was able to authorize the processing of the return which should be completed in 2-4 weeks. She said she has noted the file accordingly and gave me her name and "station number."

View solution in original post

11 Replies
harvone

I too received the "Confirm Tax Return Filing" letter from the California Franchise Tax Board. The letter requested copies of driver's licenses, social security cards, pay stubs, etc. Based on some comments in another string about this letter in the community forum, I called the telephone number on the letter. I went through the automated system and then spoke with a live person. She asked me to confirm my name and address. She said she would pull up the return and placed me on hold. After two or three minutes, she said she was able to authorize the processing of the return which should be completed in 2-4 weeks. She said she has noted the file accordingly and gave me her name and "station number."

Quite disappointed as I was hoping not to have to to deal with phone and the whole automated system .
ryansc0tt

Pretty easy - took me 5 minutes; was asked some basic personal information and when I filed the return.
ttuser1

It's strange but I've received a tax return on my checking account without contacting FTB. I didn't send a letter or make a call to them. After about a week after I've received this letter from FTB I saw the expected amount deposited in my checking account. I cannot recommend anyone to not contact FTB in such case, but for now, I don't have plans to contact them since I got my return.

Are you sure that you're not being scammed??

No, it's not a scam- look it up online and you'll see the FTB has posts about FTB 3904 on their website.  However, I'm also confused about the paycheck stubs part.  Do they want stubs from last year and if so, how many?  Or do they want stubs from this year?  I've been hunting online, but so far haven't seen a response.  Has anyone spoken to the FTB about this and gotten an answer?  I also received one of these letters and am hung up on this particular detail.

I sent them a copy of the last pay stub of 2016. think the idea is for them to cross check the docs to make sure you are who you say you are. This is not an audit. I did cross check the phone and fax and address on the return envelope. They matched what's on the official website. So it's legit.

I wound up calling the FTB and got right through. The guy was able to conform a few pieces of info about me and my tax return and then complete the process over the phone- no need to send in any documentation. I should have my refund in 2-4 weeks.
galelati

@aquarin - Have your received your return yet after giving your info to the guy over the phone?

Yes, I got the refund deposited electronically into my bank account a few days after the call.

Do not send anyone all of that personal information.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies