turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you amend your tax return twice? Already amended mine to add w2's and need to amend again. Have yet to receive any info on my first amended forms being accepted.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

Can you amend your tax return twice? Already amended mine to add w2's and need to amend again. Have yet to receive any info on my first amended forms being accepted.

Yes, you can file a second amended tax return.  

You should wait until the first amendment is processed and accepted by the IRS before sending in the second one, just to make sure they are done in the proper order.  Use https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1 to track the first amendment.

To complete the second amendment you will need to manipulate your return by deleting the Form 1040X, which will leave you with a 1040 "original" return that includes the changes from the first amended return. Then, you will start the amend process over again to put in the information needed for the second amendment. When you start the second amendment the balance or refund due should be $0.

I tried this, but the refund monitor didn't reset to zero. In the first amended return, I got a refund of $360. I deleted the 1040X form from the first amended return as you suggest, and the refund monitor increased by $360. I saved the file and closed TurboTax. Then I reopened TurboTax, clicked the amend return button and selected the file I just saved. But the refund monitor didn't reset to zero. I went ahead and made the new changes. The refund monitor changed appropriately, but it was the total amount from the original return plus both amended returns, not the net amount from just the second amended return. The 1040X was blank. I would have to fill it in manually. TurboTax seems to understand it's an amended return, but the refund monitor doesn't reset to zero. Any suggestions?

You will probably need to enter all the prior refunds and/or tax due payments directly on the 1040X (and on state) using the Forms mode.  I had to enter both a tax due I paid on the first original return AND a refund from the 1st amended return.  

"When you start the second amendment the balance or refund due should be $0."

Where is the balance reflected? What form? New 1040X before a second amending data are input?  

Oh the zero would be at the top on the refund monitor.  Not on a form.  

Actually, as I realized, on the tax/refund monitoring display, it doesn't have to be titled as a Refund, but could be "..Tax Due" if your refund amount, after the first amendment, was less than the Tax Due. So, once form 1040-X is deleted the program reverses to the "...Tax Due", federal and/or state, calculated as the result of the first amendment. 

After that, I think, the process of the second amendment can be started.  Not sure, however, yet how form 1040-X will look like after that amendment is completed and the form is generated.  Will it produce the refund or Tax Due as a result of the second amendment or both of the amendments. 

Went through the process. 1040-X generated after the second amendment produced result combining both the amendments. Corrections/adjustments in the Original Amount column need to be made manually, if the first amendment had already been accepted by IRS, to reflect there the amounts displayed in the Correct Amount column of the first amendment. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies