Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will my taxes be amended by you or the IRS since my unemployment wasn't taxable and I filed before it passed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Will my taxes be amended by you or the IRS since my unemployment wasn't taxable and I filed before it passed?

The $10,200 unemployment retroactive to 2020 was signed into law.

If you already filed - do not amend. See this:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-get-the-new-unemployment-benefits-if-i-ve...

"If you have already filed your 2020 Form 1040 or 1040-SR, there is no need to file an amended return (Form 1040-X) to figure the amount of unemployment compensation to exclude. The IRS will refigure your taxes using the excluded unemployment compensation amount and adjust your account accordingly. The IRS will send any refund amount directly to you."

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

This didn't help me at all with my question.. So shall I amend my state taxes? The IRS has alot going on to think they could correct everyone's return that got unemployment.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Check with your State Department of Revenue to see what guidance they advise for this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies