turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HK89
Level 2

Why the IRS has not received my tax file yet?

I have filed my taxes on March 3rd 2022 by mail, but after 6 weeks I still can't find any record of them receiving the return. The IRS2Go tool says "Information does not match. Please reenter your information" even though I've entered the correct the info. Also on my IRS transcripts account, they say "Your 2021 Tax Return Is Not processed" and that I'm passed the due date!

The reason I had to file by mail and not electronically is that I got married and my wife doesn't have a SSN or an ITIN number, and since she only qualifies for ITIN number (because she's not a citizen and unemployed), I had to apply for an ITIN number for her and this is the first time we file as a "Married Filing Joint".

BTW I still have the confirmation from UPS that they have in fact delivered the package. 

Thank you very much    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Our 2020 paper return took five months from the time it was received till the time it was processed by the IRS.  Granted 2020 returns had a huge backlog due to staffing, pandemic etc.  I received the same status as you stating that my return had not been filed for 2020.  I also had a return receipt that I attached to a letter to the IRS after waiting for so long.  Hopefully 2020 was an exception, but I do not expect a return to normalcy (six weeks) for those filing paper returns.

Your return may require more time to review due your new filing status.  Keep your UPS receipt and keep checking on-line.  Do not re-send another copy of your return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Our 2020 paper return took five months from the time it was received till the time it was processed by the IRS.  Granted 2020 returns had a huge backlog due to staffing, pandemic etc.  I received the same status as you stating that my return had not been filed for 2020.  I also had a return receipt that I attached to a letter to the IRS after waiting for so long.  Hopefully 2020 was an exception, but I do not expect a return to normalcy (six weeks) for those filing paper returns.

Your return may require more time to review due your new filing status.  Keep your UPS receipt and keep checking on-line.  Do not re-send another copy of your return.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Hold on to your UPS confirmation - Mailed returns always take a long time to show up in the system.   And after the 2020 tax season, they are taking even longer.   Where's My Refund? will usually display the status of your most recently filed tax return within the past two tax years.

For returns filed on or after July 1, refund information will remain available throughout the following year until you file a tax return for a more current tax year.   

The IRS site says mailed returns show up 4 weeks after being received.   However, a 2020 could sit there at the IRS (you know they have it) for months before they ''receive'' it.  Your tax situation will require additional processing time - see the link below.  

COVID-19 Processing Delays

It’s taking us (the IRS) longer than normal to process mailed correspondence and more than 21 days to issue refunds for certain mailed and e-filed 2020 tax returns that require review. Thank you for your patience.   Do not resend your return, they have it; keep checking WMR - and verify you are entering the same information from your return when you check - your SSN, MFJ, and the exact amount of your refund.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies