turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why did we only received half the stimulus, we filed Married Filing Jointly and received $600 today not $1200, our AGI was 82,879?

Are you serious? As though we wouldn't have thought of that??

Married Filing Jointly! 

Why did we only received half the stimulus, we filed Married Filing Jointly and received $600 today not $1200, our AGI was 82,879?

I bet the IRS computer has it wrong then.  Here is the best way to get through to a person at he IRS.  Best time is 7:00 AM Eastern any weekday except Monday should get you a person within about 10 minutes.

IRS Phone Number | Call Now & Skip the Wait (gethuman.com)

not worth the time calling the IRS.... they are just going to tell you to clear it up on your 2020 tax return.

Look at the Federal Review section and enter the stimulus that you did receive.  Then look at Line 30 of the 1040 form and the Recovery Credit (the missing money) will be displayed there.  That will have the effect of increasing your refund or decreasing what you owe.  

I would wait to file until the end of January.. The IRS will stop sending payments on the 15th and by the end of the month any checks in the mail would have arrived. 

I do the taxes and file Married Filing Jointly. All refunds or stimulus go into one bank account as it always has. That isn't the issue..

Thanks everyone. Sounds like several of us in the same boat. When I started this post, I was mostly wondering if it had happened to others or was a faux pas with ours. We will eventually get it, I am not extremely worried about it, just would have helped now.

Yep! Feels good knowing you aren’t on an island 🤣

WE GOT OUR REMAINING MONEY IN THE MAIL.

Today, Jan. 15, I received a letter with an enclosed "EIP Card" from the Dept. of Treasury via a private company, "Economic Impact Payment Card, PO Box 247022, Omaha, NE 68124-7022. (It could have passed for a bill or junk mail, although there was a note on the envelope stating it was neither).

I activated the enclosed debit card. The balance contains the rest of the stimulus payments that were due my family, in full. We are much relieved. 

My best guess is that these funds could have been offset -- for anything other than a stimulus payment student loan debts, etc. -- and were diverted to a card-based payment for... programming reasons(??). It was addressed directly to me (who has an offset), and not my wife (who doesn't). 

So CHECK YOUR POSTAL MAIL VERY CAREFULLY.  I hope everyone gets their payments today/very soon!

More info here: https://www.eipcard.com/
Also here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

I filed married filing jointly but received only 600

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If the amount received is not correct, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My husband finally got a check for the other half on Friday!

Many of us seemed to have gotten a second check/debit card in the mail. NOTE: The envelope looks really plain, generic, and says something like "THIS IS NOT JUNK MAIL" on it, which is something that junk mail often says. So please keep an eye out and good luck!

Tfal

Has any of this been resolved? It happened to me with the recent stimulus check.

carotash

The third round of stimulus checks have gone out and we received only $1400. We file married jointly.

I called the IRS and they said I have to wait 9 weeks before they can help me. But if I don't get it that I can claim it on my taxes for the 2021 year.

Great, just have to wait to do my taxes next year! ugh

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to the third stimulus payment here is information that may help. The first round of payments for the third stimulus was not the full amount.  The IRS will continue to send payments and process returns at the same time. They are behind and also follow the instruction they have been given.  Continue to watch for the rest of your third stimulus payments.  Here is the most recent updated information for the third economic impact payment (EIP) stimulus payments. IRS EIP3 page 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sometimes couples get separate checks even if they file jointly especially if one only has SS benefits. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies