Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jx1234
Returning Member

When will my dad receive the correct amount of tax return after I've amended saying I can be claimed as a dependent?

I didn't indicate that I can be claimed as a dependent but I filed the 1040X form correcting it saying I can be claimed as a dependent. It says the form has been processed and accepted at the end of May. My dad filed a paper copy of the tax return but he did not receive my portion. So when will my dad receive the child benefit, educational expenses, etc for my portion? Will he still be able to receive it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

When will my dad receive the correct amount of tax return after I've amended saying I can be claimed as a dependent?

When your dad filed his return on paper, he should have claimed you as his dependent.  Did he do that?  His mailed return would be processed differently than an e-filed return and he should have received his full tax refund, with no need to wait for you to amend your incorrect return.

If he removed you as a dependent before he filed, then he will also have to amend in order to claim you.

Not sure what "child benefit" you mean--if you were 17 or older Dad does not get the child tax credit for you.  He gets the $500 credit for other dependents which reduces his tax liability.  And perhaps he gets education credits if you were a full-time student.

Maybe your Dad needs to post his own question here for further clarification for all concerned.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Jx1234
Returning Member

@xmasbaby0  Yes he claimed me as his dependent when he filed his return on paper but he did not receive his full tax refund.

I was told that he will still have to file an amended return though he already claimed me the first time -- is this true?

Not true.  If your father claimed you on his return then his refund was calculated based on claiming you as a dependent.  Not sure why you (or your dad) believe he did not receive his full refund.  Perhaps we need more information.  What do you think he missed out on?  And who told you he still needs to amend?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Jx1234
Returning Member

@xmasbaby0  Wouldn't it be because I originally didn't indicate that I can be claimed as a dependent? He claimed me every year but didn't receive the correct amount this year because of my mistake. Even though I corrected this on the 1040X and he mailed his paper copy of the tax return, he still didn't receive this portion of the tax return. 

And I called the number that is shown on the "Where's my Amended Return" on the irs.gov site and the worker told me my dad will have to amend and explain what happened on the comments section. 

Again—if your father thinks his refund was less than it should have been, he needs to ask some questions himself. Too much is “lost” with you—a student filing one of your first tax returns—trying to interpret what your parent entered on his tax return and how much his refund should be. We do not know all the facts.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies