Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will 2020 Return be available on Turbo Tax to Amend?

Yea but are we need the money to survive during the pandemic we can’t wait 3 year to pay bills we can’t wait 3 year to eat can’t ask landlord to hold rent for 3 years by the time we get the money one bill for I’ll be backed up and tank most of it we were told we’d have this done a month ago almost and you people have gotten no closer stop responding with the same useless answer and give something actually useful 

Wouldn't we be penalized though for being late?  I am hoping I can amend + file before the May 17th deadline! I hope Turbotax gets this fixed soon.

rj8993
Returning Member

I really hope I get my stimulus money and i am not screwed due to turbo tax not allowing amended tax returns that type of thing should be a class action law suit 

@cjs56484 wrote:

Wouldn't we be penalized though for being late?  I am hoping I can amend + file before the May 17th deadline! I hope Turbotax gets this fixed soon.

You are not late if you file the original return and pay any tax due before May 17.  An amended return filed now probably will not be processed before August or September anyway.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@DoninGA you really need to stop responding. All you are doing is irritating people with your old info. The IRS has already said that people newly eligible for credits have to amend. The IRS will be starting their own process and can you imagine how messed up our amended returns can get if not filed before that? The cross paperwork and overpayment will be overwhelming. So just stop. 

I opened Turbotax and selected the link that says "Amend a return (make changes) after it was filed and accepted by the IRS". It immediately asked me to start inputting info and never asked for the return I want to amend. Did I hit the wrong link?

imabusybee23
Returning Member

I definitely want to amend now and not pay the amount owed first.  I will be entitled to a refund once I amend and don't want to have to pay just to amend.  Turbotax efile was accepted and I think I should be able to amend now.

imabusybee23
Returning Member

Yeah right.  It is now 4/19 and they haven't made it available yet.  I don't think I'll use Turbotax again.

I just read that I will have to amend and Turbotax Online says...

Your return isn't ready to be amended yet
The IRS is making some updates that change how we support amended returns that include unemployment. We'll be updating our product after we have IRS guidance on the best way to file amended returns so they can be processed quickly and accurately.
 for updates or to sign up to be notified when you can continue to amend your return.

Apparently it was supposed to available at the end of March? 

My return has been accepted and processed by the IRS...though the EIC was not a viable credit for us with taxes on the 20,400..now we are eligible and because I didn't have it on the return I will have to amend but I would like to keep it in TurboTax for record purposes. 

So the IRS has halted TurboTax from making them available because they are too busy?  That doesn't seem right.  Many of us need to file an amended as we now (after the Unemployment exclusion amounts) qualify for EIC where we did not before...the IRS cant add a credit only adjust an existing one...which in itself doesn't make sense since they can adjust every thing else.  TurboTax needs to just open them...the IRS can compare numbers when they get them as they just did with the stimulus error from those of us that use TurboTax.

Same here.

This is not entirely true...if because of the adjustment you are now eligible for EIC you will have to file an amended return...the IRS will not add that, they will only adjust it up or down if you already had it.  Same for any credit.

I forgot to include a 1099-C form, received it waaaaay to late... I was kind of curious about the amounts at the top... they do not max my original amounts and theres no way thats the adjusted total if i havent entered anything.. could it just be a random number instead?

carmen19631978
Returning Member

But they take the money lol

carmen19631978
Returning Member

I have the same problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies