turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will 2020 Return be available on Turbo Tax to Amend?

OMG, me too!  Same dilemma.  I can't amend my return; keep getting an error message to try again later.  I already received my refund weeks ago; and then recently noticed that I hadn't reported unemployment income. At the time of filing, I hadn't received a paper copy of my 1099-G in the mail, so I completely forgot to include that when filing and just reported my last W2 for 2020!  After receiving my refund, it was then I realized I didn't include a 1099-G. I had to manually download a copy of it from the unemployment state website, and am just here WAITING for Turbotax to let me AMEND MY RETURN with my 1099-G!  Grrrrrr. 

The thing that's annoying is that the reason for the hold-up is that Turbotax is making changes to their system to accommodate all of filers who have reported unemployment income I assume.  But what about those of us who want to amend our returns BECAUSE WE DIDN'T include our 1099-Gs!  Why hold us up?

It say's the efile forms are ready for amended taxes, but every time i log in and hit amend taxes, It says NOT READY...

Yep, same here. Still freakin' waiting!  

Never will be I’ve been trying for weeks to figure it out they said it would be done March 25 they told me last week it would be done before the weekend came and here we are another week gone by people are struggling and they don’t seem to care never usisng turbotax again 

Amend should be available for most taxpayers. In some cases, changes in the tax laws are still being resolved and amend will not be available until those issues are completely resolved and working correctly.  We hope all issues are resolved soon.

This is getting beyond ridiculous. Where are Official Turbotax updates? Instead we get piecemeal from people on the Forums. The blog has not been updated in over a week. If there were issues, Turbotax should be transparent instead of quiet. Especially when we can’t go anywhere else since we have already paid. 

Tell me about it!  It's been exactly 3 weeks since Turbotax sent out a mass email alerting us about the unemployment money-back from the American Rescue Plan. Some of us need to make amended returns; not sure what the hold up is; especially when there is already a paper version from the IRS 1040X already available if we chose to go that route. I'd rather keep it internally within Turbotax as I filed here and want to amend and file electronically.

An update on the Turbotax site would be nice; agreed.

@cjs56484 wrote:

Tell me about it!  It's been exactly 3 weeks since Turbotax sent out a mass email alerting us about the unemployment money-back from the American Rescue Plan. Some of us need to make amended returns; not sure what the hold up is; especially when there is already a paper version from the IRS 1040X already available if we chose to go that route. I'd rather keep it internally within Turbotax as I filed here and want to amend and file electronically.

An update on the Turbotax site would be nice; agreed.

If you are referring to amending a return due to the unemployment exclusion, the IRS will be recalculating the taxes on a filed tax return for the exclusion and will be sending tax refunds starting in May if you are eligible.  There is no need to amend the 2020 filed tax return for the exclusion.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

We are people who want to amend our returns to ADD an unemployment 1099-G. And we can't.  But thanks for the reply.  I filed weeks ago; received my refund.

There are currently a slew of us (judging from the comments); and we aren't allowed to amend our returns at all. We keep getting a message saying to try back later. It's been going on for weeks now.  It's ridiculous.  

@cjs56484 - ignore that “Champ” user that just replied. We both know we have to amend for various reasons. 

If people don’t know the most up to date info, they need to stop posting in the forums. 

Yep, in the same boat. Forgot to include 1099-G when filed, so need to amend to add it and cannot do it, even though it calculated the changes to both federal and state taxes at the top of the screen, but can't submit it.

Why would they say it will be available on March 25th to do amended and now three weeks later there is no update. There are many people waiting to do this mostly for unemployment changes but I'm sure for many other reasons. All we need is an update on when this will be available.

I hear ya. I really need to amend mine. This is crazy....

rj8993
Returning Member

When will this become available I hope I do not miss my stimulus due to turbo tax and menor being able to amend my tax return. This would definitely be my last year using turbo tax if they cost me 2800

@rj8993 wrote:

When will this become available I hope I do not miss my stimulus due to turbo tax and menor being able to amend my tax return. This would definitely be my last year using turbo tax if they cost me 2800

Amended tax returns with a tax refund can be filed at any time for up to 3 years from the due date of the original tax return.  For tax year 2020 that would be on or before May 17, 2024.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies