Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I amend to add 1095a, will TT amend both federal & state return? My state also requires

• I need to amend both my state (NJ) and federal tax return to add 1095a info. NJ is a penalty state. Do I amend both on TT or will federal automatically amend state?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

When I amend to add 1095a, will TT amend both federal & state return? My state also requires

Yes, you can amend both returns in TurboTax when that option is available. 

It isn't automatic, but it is pretty simple. You make all your changes in the Federal section. When that is done, TurboTax will ask you if you want to amend the state as well. There are usually just a couple of follow up questions and both of your amendments will be done. 

Click here for directions on amending your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I completed everything. TT produced the1040x to download which is great but it didn’t  show form 8962 for my federal. My state needs 1040x but federal needs 8962. I updated the federal healthcare section with my 1095a, which is why this all started. How can I get the 8962 for the IRS?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

When you enter form 1098-A, TurboTax generates form 8962.

Print form 8962, attach a copy of your 1095-A and mail it to the address indicated on your IRS letter.

I found it under print services!!

I can't enter the amendment info for my 1095A. When I click Healthcoverage, it doesn't bring up that page. Sends me back to Income or Personal Info. What do I do?

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

@Dariagorbenko:

Refreshing your browser and clearing out your cache and cookies may resolve the issue, the articles below will help.   After performing these steps log out of TurboTax and then back in.  If the issue still persists please try a different browser.

This one shows how to delete your cookies.   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301745  

This one will help you clear your cache.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302272  

If you continue to have problems please contact Technical Support using this form: 

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

You are exactly right. This is TT error. It doesn’t come up in the original program either. You can only access 1095a part by using  search help topics .There is no way anyone would know this. It needs to be asked about on the original. We should all get our $ back. Happened to thousands of customers.

I will try to delete the cookies. Haven’t tried that yet. Whenever I use live agents, we get through half the process and we are disconnected. I call again, go over my situation again, make progress then disconnected again. Live help doesn’t work.  Not trying a 4th time. 

When you leave out 8962 and IRS sends you a letter, you don't have to amend your tax return.

Instead make the corrections and return the updated 1040 and the form 8962 to the place specified (mail or fax).

If you have a state return issue,  you can amend by hand by laying the old and new state tax return side by side.

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend because a TurboTax update changes your return.
OR to amend for some other reason.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies