Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What if i have already filed and forgot to add a dependant can i amend my return

Will it be alright to amend my taxes if my kids father was going to claim them but decided not to? I have already filed and received my refund and did not claim them originally. Thank you in advance!

PattiF
Expert Alumni

What if i have already filed and forgot to add a dependant can i amend my return

Yes, you can amend your return to claim the children. The 1040-X will be available on 03/25/2021.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok thank you for your help!

Hello sir/Mam, please is the amended forms 1040X out yet ?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The form is expected to be released on 03/26/2021/ Here is the list of form availability.

If we amend our taxes and claim our children, will we also get the stimulus package for them at a later date?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you are due stimulus money from the first two rounds, it will show up as a recovery rebate credit on your 2020 tax return, which amount you can include on your amended return. 

Hello Sir/Mam please is the amended form 1040-X ready yet ?

Thanks

@Caslie93 wrote:

Hello Sir/Mam please is the amended form 1040-X ready yet ?

Thanks

If you filed, it is like dropping it into the mail - you cannot get it back if accepted by the IRS or state.

Do not rush to amend - no hurry. You have 3 years to amend and amended returns are taking 4-6 months or longer to be processed so waiting a few weeks will make little difference and amending too soon might just compound the problem. (If you amend today you probably will not see the results until August or September).

To amend your 2020 tax return:

-- First, *wait* to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. DO NOT do anything until you receive the accept or reject e-mail.

-- If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return.

-- If accepted you should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it. That is the only proof of mailing that the IRS will accept.

-- Amended returns can be mailed or e-filed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Can someone call me and help me [phone number removed]

no one will call you. your phone number has been removed so scammers and identity thieves don't contact you.  this is a public forum. post your questions and we may be able to help. 

Ok. Sorry. I have three children who live with me. I claimed 2 on my taxes this year because my first child's father claimed her without me knowing. He got all three stimulus for her as well because he claimed her. Without my permission. And she did not live with him. Is there anything I can do? I would like to have this somehow reversed and get stimulus for her because I feel I'm entitled not him 

I already filed claimed two out of three of my kids and got my refund. But I'm wondering if something can be done where he filed her and received stimulus? And she did not live with him nor did he havey permission to claim her. And he also pays childsupport he is the non custodial parent. 

If you or a dependent that you are entitled to claim has already been claimed by another taxpayer, your e-filed return will reject since the SSN has already been used (either intentionally or in error such as a mistyped SSN).

Your only recourse is to file a correct tax return, claiming what you are entitled to claim, then print and mail the return.

The IRS will process both returns and pay any refunds. Shortly (within a year) the IRS will mail letters to both taxpayers asking if their tax return was filed in error and suggesting that they amend if they improperly claimed.

If neither taxpayer amends, the IRS will send a second letter asking for each taxpayers proof that they are entitled to the claim.

The IRS will evaluate each taxpayers claim and award the credit to one taxpayer, the other will have to payback any refund received plus interest and possible penalties.

Do not ignore the letters or you will loose.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Hi Sir/mum

Please can you give me the correct address for irs, I want to mail my 1040-X amended form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies