turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I don't have money orders or canceled checks for homestead credit? I have checks for only January-March, Venmo April-July, and the online portal was changed.

The online portal for my current place was changed at the start of the year and I no longer have access to my previous payments online. I have all my bank statements but I don't know if that'll be enough for the Homestead Credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnW152
Employee Tax Expert

What if I don't have money orders or canceled checks for homestead credit? I have checks for only January-March, Venmo April-July, and the online portal was changed.

Money orders and cancelled checks would generally constitute sufficient proof, if required.

Venmo and Bank statements might require additional information, but your bank and Venmo might be able to fill in any gaps.

A number of states provide homestead credits.  Feel free to re-post providing the name of the state you’re referring to.  It could help us provide a better answer.

I'm referring to WI

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

You are concerned in case you are audited. If you meet the rules, you should claim the credit. If you are audited, you can provide a notarized statement, bank statements, etc for your proof of payments.

Here are the rules:

Homestead Credit

The Wisconsin homestead credit program provides direct relief to homeowners and renters. The taxpayer may qualify if he or she was:

•  A legal resident of Wisconsin for all of 2020.
  •  Between the ages of 18 and 61 on December 31, 2020, and had earned income.
  •  Age 62 or older on December 31, 2020, or disabled.
  •  Not claimed as a dependent on anyone’s 2020 federal tax return (unless age 62 or older on December 31, 2020).
  •  Not living in tax-exempt public housing for all of 2020. Note: Some exceptions apply to this rule and are explained in the instructions for the homestead credit form.
  •  Not living in a nursing home and receiving medical assistance (Title XIX) when filing for the homestead credit.
  •  Had total household income, including wages, interest, Social Security, and income from certain other sources, below $24,680 in 2020.If the taxpayer (or spouse if married) claims the farmland preservation credit or veterans and surviving spouses property tax credit, the homestead credit is not available. File Schedule H, Wisconsin Homestead Credit, to claim the credit.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Would it matter if my current apartment complex doesn’t sign off on rent certificates?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

This Wisconsin resource: Claiming Homestead Credit states you must have the rent certificate. For more Wisconsin information, contact:

MS 5-77
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
PO Box 8949
Madison WI 53708-8949
Phone: (608) 266-8641
Fax: (608) 267-1030
Email additional questions to DORHomesteadCredit@wisconsin.gov

The department welcomes your input on our guidance. Submit comments on this guidance document.

The only limitation is to public housing on page 1, from this Wisconsin resource: Wisconsin Department of Revenue Homestead Credit Fact Sheet 1116

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies