Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What forms to attach to my 2022 1040X

I successfully e-filed my 2022 Federal Tax Return and received my refund via direct deposit.  THEN I received a corrected 1099-DIV from my brokerage account.  The only thing that changed was the amount of the Qualified Dividends. I've gone through the TT steps to amend my tax return and am owed a few more dollars of refund. 
When I get to the part to print the return, it provides me with the File by Mail instructions, Amended Return Checklist, 1040X, 1040-SR with updated Qualified Dividends then proceeded to also gives me ALL the forms I originally filed even though there are no changes to any of those, with the exception of the Form 8995 Qualified Business Income Deduction Simplified Computation sheet which also carries the change but it does not affect the QBI deduction amount.  It also includes the TT electronic postmark of the original filing.
What pages do I send to the IRS?  Do I send all the ones TT printed or just Form 1040X, updated Form 1040-SR, updated Form 8995?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You should only mail form 1040X, updated form 8995 and a copy of the corrected form 1099-DIV.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When filing 1040-X, do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Attach only those forms and schedules that are new or changed due to your amendment.

If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.
----
Mail to the address shown for your location in the most recent Instructions for Form 1040-X.

@amdail 

Thanks for the specific list of items to send to the IRS for my situation.  It is exactly what I was looking for! 😊

Question...why include a copy of the Corrected 1099-DIV?  A 1099 is not something you normally send in with your tax return as that information is sent into the IRS from the issuer. 
Is that so they have all the change detail in one place or is it because the IRS may not have gotten that information transmitted to them or some other reason?

do not attach corrected 1099-DIV or other tax document unless it shows federal tax withheld.

@amdail 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies