turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Updating 2018 desktop software has changed my 2018 return

I need to amend my 2018 return using the desktop software because a tax credit is now available for something that wasn’t when I filed in April 2019. I started by opening the 2018 application. When I did, I was told there were updates available. I assumed it was to include (among other things) the info for the newly-available tax credit, so I clicked the “update" button. After it was all done, the amount shown for my refund that year is considerably different. According to the instructions for amending a return, I’m supposed to start with the identical return. When I started the “amend” process, TurboTax displayed a help topic on the screen saying “Why did the refund monitor just change to $0?” In my case, the Federal refund is showing $462 and the State is showing $0. Does this mean that something changed and I really should have filed with this new amount? Can I just continue “as is?”

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I continued on despite the non-zero refund amount and discovered that I had already entered the information in April 2019 even though the credit wasn’t yet available. So the $462 credit is the actual amended amount. Yay.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I continued on despite the non-zero refund amount and discovered that I had already entered the information in April 2019 even though the credit wasn’t yet available. So the $462 credit is the actual amended amount. Yay.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies