Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xteenyxox
Returning Member

Unemployment tax relief

Has anyone filed an amended return due to the new 10,200 tax relief?? I did not TOUCH my federal like the IRS said but I did amended my state and it shows "rejected" for federal.. I am worried that is going to mess up my return for the unemployment tax stuff. Is that supposed to happen ??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Unemployment tax relief

The filing of your state amended return should not have affected your federal return filing. You can contact an agent at TurboTax and they can look up your federal e-file status and tell you if it has been rejected. Here is a link that will tell you how to contact TurboTax:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
xteenyxox
Returning Member

Unemployment tax relief

I did. She asked a supervisor anf they said it "should be fine" .... federal still says rejected tho. I'm just trying to see if anyone else's says that too. I'm wondering if it's like a pre automated message...

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Unemployment tax relief

The bottomline is that a "rejected" federal amended return has no effect on the federal return you originally filed AND you do not need to amend your federal return to take advantage of the new $10,200 unemployment compensation tax break. 

Also, an amended state return has no effect on your originally filed federal return.

You have to go through the "amend" process on your federal return in order to amend your state return. It is likely the program is generating this message to make sure you know the "amended" federal return did not get processed along with your amended state return. Of course, you didn't want to to file an amended federal return, so this is OK.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies