turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

unemployment insurance tax refund for dependents

I filed in Feb 2021 as a full time college student, dependent... my 2020 AGI was under $10k, ($5500 was unemployment benefits).  I paid $1200 in federal tax because "kiddie tax" unemployment insurance was unearned income so I was taxed at my parents' tax rate.  My parents earned over $150k in 2020.

Do I qualify for a tax refund (unemployment benefits under $10k not taxable) since my AGI was <$10k? Or does the IRS consider my parents' income as my income? 

Thanks for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your parents' income is not considered in determining eligibility for the unemployment exclusion. Based on the figures you provided, you are eligible for the exclusion. So you should eventually get a refund. If the unemployment was your only unearned income, you will not have any unearned income after your tax return is recalculated, because all of your unemployment will be excluded. Therefore you will not have any kiddie tax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your parents' income is not considered in determining eligibility for the unemployment exclusion. Based on the figures you provided, you are eligible for the exclusion. So you should eventually get a refund. If the unemployment was your only unearned income, you will not have any unearned income after your tax return is recalculated, because all of your unemployment will be excluded. Therefore you will not have any kiddie tax.

Awesome! Thank you for the great news. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies