turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax asked to mail Form 8453 with Form 8949

Hi,

I had filed my taxes (Federal and state) via Turbo Tax and I was told (only after the filing the tax to IRS) that I need to mail the Form 8453 with Form 8949.

* Do I need just to print Form 8453 and 8949 from TurboTax prepared return and mail it to IRS? 

* Do I also need to attach 1099-B showing details of the transactions?

* I could not send these docs within 3 days of timeline as told on multiple discussions. Can I send it outside the window? Do I need to complete any other step since I missed the 3 days window?

I have received the "Return Accepted" notification via Turbo Tax. Would my return be incomplete unless IRS receives my documents?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You need to print the 8453 and the   Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets (or a statement with the same information), if you elect not to report your transactions electronically on Form 8949.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@abhi_agr wrote:

* Do I need just to print Form 8453 and 8949 from TurboTax prepared return and mail it to IRS? 

* Do I also need to attach 1099-B showing details of the transactions?

If the Form 8949 that TurboTax prepared is just summary entries, you have to send a copy of the 1099-B showing all the details. You do not have to send another copy of the 8949 that was included in your tax return. The 1099-B is the "statement with the same information." Send a photocopy, not the original.

@abhi_agr wrote:

* I could not send these docs within 3 days of timeline as told on multiple discussions. Can I send it outside the window? Do I need to complete any other step since I missed the 3 days window?

Yes, send it now, as soon as you can. You do not have to do anything different because of missing the 3-day window.

@abhi_agr wrote:

Would my return be incomplete unless IRS receives my documents?

Yes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies