Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Too late to get 3rd stimulus check for newborn in 2020. Should I file amendment?

Hello, 

I received my 3rd stimulus payment before I filed 2020 taxes. So, I did not receive the 3rd stimulus check for my baby born in 2020. What can be done now? Can I file an amendment or do I have to wait for 2021 tax season now and get a rebate next year? 

Here is an excerpt from a cnet article about such situation:

"But by now if you haven't filed your 2020 return yet, it is likely too late to get a third check for 2020 babies. The IRS has already begun sending checks, so you may have to wait until you file your 2021 return next year to claim that money retroactively." 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Too late to get 3rd stimulus check for newborn in 2020. Should I file amendment?

We're not sure but we think it will be reconciled when you do your 2021 return next year like on this year you added the 1st and 2nd Stimulus payments for your new baby.   Did you get the $1,100 on 1040 line 30 for baby?

Yes, I did get $1,100 on 1040 line 30 for baby. 

Then 2020 is right.  Nothing to amend.  We will deal with 2021 on next year's return.

Then I guess the question is how to claim the 3rd stimulus for the baby if you have received your own but haven't received the baby's check? Is there any other way than waiting for the next tax season?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies