turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blasiol

The IRS says my refund was deposited in my bank. my bank says it wasn't. How do I verify that I provided TurboTax the correct RTN and account number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The IRS says my refund was deposited in my bank. my bank says it wasn't. How do I verify that I provided TurboTax the correct RTN and account number?

blasiol  wrote:  "The IRS says my refund was deposited in my bank. my bank says it wasn't. How do I verify that I provided TurboTax the correct RTN and account number?"

This answer assumes you efiled your return.

If the IRS has sent the funds, the IRS says to allow up to 5 days due to variations in bank processing routines.

If the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool says your refund has been released and sent electronically, the funds "may" go to another bank first.  Where the funds go first depends on what you chose for your refund option.   Look at your return PDF and view a page called Electronic Filing Instructions and that should show you what your refund choice was.   

Here are some possibilities:

1. If you chose no special handling, the IRS sends a direct deposit directly to your bank account (or card.)  If your bank refuses the deposit, it goes back to the IRS who would issue a check in the mail.
  2. On the other hand, if you chose to pay any TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, the IRS sends your refund to an intermediary bank where the fees are subtracted, and then that intermediary bank sends the remainder of the refund to your bank account (or card) in a second direct deposit.   The company that handles that is SBTPG, a Green Dot company, and the bank is often a Green Dot Bank or affiliate.   If for some reason your bank refuses that deposit, it goes back to SBTPG's bank, who would normally issue a paper check in the mail.  Less commonly, SBTPG might send a returned deposit back to the IRS and let the IRS send a check in the mail.  
    If you used that service to pay your TurboTax fees, you can check on your refund using the refund lookup tool at SBTPG's website.  To log in to the SBTPG tool, choose the "For taxpayers" portal at:
    https://www.sbtpg.com/
  3. If you chose to receive your refund into a Credit Karma Money Spend account and Credit Karma Visa Debit Card, that is handled by a bank called MVB Bank.  Some people have said they ended up with that Credit Karma option without realizing it and spent weeks wondering where their money was, and it was at Credit Karma.   If that happened to you, you can contact Credit Karma Support for the Money Spend account.
  4. A few users have reported that the IRS sent their refund to their brokerage cash account without their realizing it.   I suspect these users had used the TurboTax import feature to import data from a brokerage account in the past and that TurboTax also imported that deposit info.   In that case, the bank involved would be whatever particular underlying bank the brokerage uses to manage the cash funds in a client's brokerage account.

NOTE:  It's also possible to have more than one of those situations if fees were paid out of the Federal refund (option 2).  For example, a filer might have chosen situations 2 and 3, or 2 and 4.

@blasiol  - look at your tax return....that is the account number and routing number that the IRS has (although if you requested your fees be netted from your refund, it will process through another bank first)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies