Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax amendment due to mistakes in Year End Tax Package from Ameriprise

Dear all,
I discovered that my 2016 tax return needs to be amended. Ameriprise, the financial brokerage firm I use, issued the Year End Tax Package with an error in it: Mistakenly states a mutual fund that was sold with zero cost basis, resulting all the sold value to be gain, when it should have been a loss.
It would have been a smaller problem if Ameriprise re-issue the Year End Tax Package with the correct cost basis. I was told by my financial adviser it is not possible.
I am still looking for a better answer on that end.
Meanwhile, my question is: if Ameriprise doesn't re-issue the Year End Tax Package for me to amend the tax return. What are my choices?
Can I use annual statements to amend tax returns?

Many thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Yes!  You can use your annual statements as well as any other supporting documentation you have to support your cost basis in the mutual fund, including bank records, monthly statements, trade confirmations, etc.

You will need to file your amended return on paper.  Be sure to include in your explanation that the broker statement you received was in error and detail the documentation you are including to support your amendment.  

If you used Turbo Tax to prepare your 2016 tax return, here is a great link to walk you through the steps:  

Amending by 2016 Tax Return in Turbo Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Yes!  You can use your annual statements as well as any other supporting documentation you have to support your cost basis in the mutual fund, including bank records, monthly statements, trade confirmations, etc.

You will need to file your amended return on paper.  Be sure to include in your explanation that the broker statement you received was in error and detail the documentation you are including to support your amendment.  

If you used Turbo Tax to prepare your 2016 tax return, here is a great link to walk you through the steps:  

Amending by 2016 Tax Return in Turbo Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies