turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TommyCPA

System showing incorrect e-filing status of amended returns

Back in May I efiled Federal, NY, and CT.  All returns were fully processed.   Earlier today, I amended all three 2020 returns today.  

Background:

• The system instructed me that NY is a mandatory e-file state and it didn't seem that Federal & CT would be e-filed.  
  • I checked CT's website and CT doesn't seem accept electronically filed returns.  I couldn't find anything related to Federal.  
  • I printed Federal & CT for mailing and e-filed NY;
  • Soon after, I received an alert that Federal & NY were e-filed.  Then an hour later I received a note that the Federal amended return was accepted.  
  • Finally, I looked at the e-file status in Turbo tax (using the CD/Download version) and it noted that the Federal & CT returns were accepted; NY is pending.  

My questions:

1. Why is it saying my CT return was accepted when the amendment wasn't e-filed?   Perhaps it's giving me the status of the original return. 
  2. How do I know for sure the Federal was accepted?  Now I'm afraid to mail it as the IRS will then have two copies if the amendment was indeed filed.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Look at the Electronic Filing History for the dates of filing, both original and amended returns.  

It should show the date that the original CT state tax return was filed and accepted.  A CT amended tax return can only be printed and mailed.

Both the Federal and NY amended tax returns can be e-filed.

If you got three ACCEPTED messages after submitting your amended return(s), then you e-Filed.

Don't mail any paper returns.

According to TurboTax, you can e-File your amended state return(s), without submitting a federal 1040-X amendment.

In that case you would get two ACCEPTED messages, from your states.

TommyCPA

Thank you!  How do I check my Electronic Filing History?

@TommyCPA wrote:

Thank you!  How do I check my Electronic Filing History?

Since you are using the CD/Download editions -

In the File menu on the upper left corner of the desktop program screen, scroll down to Electronic Filing and then select Show Electronic Filing Status History

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies