turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus check issue

Hi, here is my situation. I have filed a Non-Filers form and did not see the question if anyone claims me as dependent on their tax return. My dad does claim me a dependent as I am a 21 year old college student. I just saw that I received the $1200 stimulus check. My dad will still claim me as dependent for the 2019 tax return. What are my options/ What should I do. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Stimulus check issue

If you received a paper stimulus check from the Treasury Department and it hasn't been deposited, you should write “VOID” on the back and mail to your regional IRS location, and include  a note stating the reason for returning the check.

Stimulus check issue

But, I got it through direct deposit

Stimulus check issue

Send a check with your explanation. 

Stimulus check issue

And besides that, my father would be able to file his 2019 taxes claiming me as dependent like usual? 

Stimulus check issue

All he can do is try. I am unclear about whether you actually filed a tax return or just applied for the stimulus as a non taxpayer. If his return is rejected because of your filing, he can mail his return with an explanation that you can be claimed by him and that you have either amended your return (if you filed one) and have returned the stimulus check.   Unfortunately, a mailed return will take many months to process. 

Stimulus check issue

I applied for the stimulus check as a non tax payer. I did not check the box that someone claims me as dependent because I missed it. Does that make my status as independent or my father could still file his 2019 taxes with me as a dependent. If not then he would file me as independent but I am just trying to clarify. 

Stimulus check issue

The issue is CAN you be claimed as a dependent. Neither you nor your father gets to choose that. You either can or cannot be claimed as a matter of tax law. What he can do, however, is choose to not claim you. In any case, you are not entitled to the stimulus since he CAN claim you, even if he chooses not to do so. Since you already presented yourself as someone who cannot be claimed, it is possible (but we don’t know how the IRS computers check that) that if Dad claims you the IRS will reject his return. If that happens, he can either drop you from his return and refile his return or keep you as a dependent and mail it. 

Stimulus check issue

Oh ok I got it. Thanks so much for your help. One last thing: so on my end do I need to Amend the return or whatever I filled to get the stimulus is not really a tax return and therefore I don't need to amend it. 

Stimulus check issue

I’m not aware of any way to amend the non taxpayer filing. 

Stimulus check issue

Ok. Thank you so much

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies