Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Status update on 2018 Amended Return

Hi,

on 04/17/2020 I filed a 1040X, and after that, I lost track of it (the tool was not working properly).

Now, going back to the IRS tool, great news: on 01/15/2021 has been "completed", and the description says the following:

"We processed your amended return on January 15, 2021. The adjustment on your account resulted in a refund. You should have received your refund and/or a notice if your refund was adjusted to cover past due obligations."

From what I'm understanding, has been figured that they owed me the refund, but I never received neither a letter nor a refund.

Does something like that never happened to you? How can I understand what's happening here?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

I suggest you review the tax account transcripts to see what the IRS has on file ...  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

did you move because refunds on amended returns are sent by check to the address on the return?

see this IRS website for instituting a refund trace.  

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-2#:~:text=%20Yes%2C%20if%2...

I did move!

I'm trying to follow the link you mentioned, but:

"If you filed a married filing jointly return, you can't initiate a trace using the automated systems."

That's my case, but I cannot talk with a person...

Moreover, I'm not sure how to fill the 3911, since I know the amendment refund I asked, but I don't know the actual amount.

I think what happened is that they sent the info to my old address, and I've never been notified..but now I don't know how to proceed

I got the transcript and found the amount!

it actually says: 

Refund issued 12-24-2020 $xxxx
776 Interest credited to your account 01-04-2021 -$yyy
740 Undelivered refund returned to IRS 01-04-2021 -$xxxx
777 Reduced or removed interest 01-04-2021 $yyy
credited to your account

Now the problem becomes contacting the IRS to have the check sent again...

First you need to update your info with the IRS ... mail in the form 8822 : https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

Then if you can try putting in a forwarding with the post office so any mail will find you.  

Using  the 8822 to update your address should release the check. 

I moved some time ago, (the return was 2018), so they "know" my address since I already filed taxes with my new info. Do you think is still necessary to fill this form? Where do I send it?

If the 2020 return has not been processed then the  current address may not be on file yet so mailing in the 8822 will not hurt you any ... look at the link I sent you on page 2 for the mailing address.   

you are right. I'm going now to USPS for mailing the form 🙂

Thanks a lot, appreciated.

I'm not sure though if they will "re-send" the check just because of the change of address. Do you think my check is there "pending"?

Yes, they should release the check when they have a more current address to send it to. 

Ok, so after I'm done with the 8822 I just need to wait for the check?

Yep ... that is SOP. 

SOP?

Standard Operating Procedure

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies