turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should starting the amendment process change the previous amount of tax OWED to a refund before any new info is entered? this has never happened in past.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should starting the amendment process change the previous amount of tax OWED to a refund before any new info is entered? this has never happened in past.

did you make a payment on the amount owed,     like an extension payment.  

did you print a copy of the filed return or safe a copy as a PDF?     then you can compare to see what changed. 

if not,  you may be able to get a transcript from the IRS of the originally filed return, then see what changed.

Well the refund monitor at the top should reset to 0 when you start an amended return.

You can delete the amended return, then make sure your return still matches the original and try again.

This is done using the desktop version of TTax Premier.   I did save a copy of the original return, and it was mailed in with no payments being made, and a payment plan arranged.  

No changes were made to the original file/return used to start the process of creating the amendment.  TTax just brought in the data from original return and changed the status from tax owed to tax refund with no changes whatsoever. 

When did you mail the original return?  Do you have a schedule D?  There were a IRS program update that changed schedule D.   IRS info on Schedule D changes (after May 15, 2019)

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/error-in-tax-calculation-in-schedule-d-tax-worksheet-form-1040

Yes, Volvo Girl... I've done amendments in the past... but it has never reset to $0.  It always shows the original return Tax Owed/Refund amount as originally filed, and adjusts the Tax Amount/Refund Amount in the status bar based on whatever changes are being made as it goes... just like the regular 1040 return does.  

I have started over with same result.

I've deleted the 1040X from within the "amended" return and used OPEN FORM to create a new 1040X, with same result.

I was on phone support with a live CPA rep who was trying to help me, but we got disconnected.  Trying to get technical help from TurboTax this year has been more difficult than in the past as well.  I'm assuming he will eventually call me back, but in the meantime, this is not resolved, and I cannot count on a call back.

There was an extension, and the original return was mailed recently... on the 15th.  But that should be irrelevant to the amendment process from within TurboTax.   The software was up to date prior to mailing the return.  

Yes, there was a Schedule D.   

For anyone else having this issue, check the TAX PAID WITH ORIGINAL RETURN field on the 1040X form.  The program was  populating that field with the tax owed amount, even though that was not correct.  I was able to delete the amount paid and enter the correct amount. 

However, there's still something else going on... it's populating Column A (Original return info) with numbers that did not match my original; there are numbers populating the changes Column B with numbers that I did not enter and can't tie to.   I'll have to keep researching this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies