turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I e-file my 2019 amended return or keep waiting? I filed by mail just over 6 months ago and it still doesn't show up in the "Where's my amended return" system.

A few days ago I called and spoke with an IRS agent who told me they are still WAY behind on this sort of thing.  I have nearly $1000 refund coming which I indicated to carryover to my 2020 return.   If I claim that overpayment on my 2020 return and they haven't processed my 2019 amended return yet, how's that going to work?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I e-file my 2019 amended return or keep waiting? I filed by mail just over 6 months ago and it still doesn't show up in the "Where's my amended return" system.

E-filing for tax year 2019 has already closed. You have done your part by mailing in your amended return. Now you would just wait until it has been processed. If the IRS hasn't processed your 2019 amended return by the time your tax return for 2020 is processed, the carryover will likely not be factored in (as the IRS will not have record of it). 

If it is not included, you can file an amendment  for your 2020 taxes after your submitted return has been processed by the IRS. See this FAQ on How to amend a return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

E-filing for tax year 2019 has already closed. You have done your part by mailing in your amended return. Now you would just wait until it has been processed. If the IRS hasn't processed your 2019 amended return by the time your tax return for 2020 is processed, the carryover will likely not be factored in (as the IRS will not have record of it). 

If it is not included, you can file an amendment  for your 2020 taxes after your submitted return has been processed by the IRS. See this FAQ on How to amend a return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies