Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I Amend

I filed and was approved on the 29th of Jan.  I filed multiple w2's for past years(2019-2016) as well. Yes Im under the EIC so I know there's a delay because of that ,but it's been still processing since the approval date. Should I Amend,and if so what? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Should I Amend

Why do you need to amend?  Did you file the past years W2s on the same return with 2019?  You have to file each year separately.

Should I Amend

I thought because I entered in all my w2's at once,that I should? 

Should I Amend

You MUST WAIT for the IRS to finish processing the 2019 return ... they will probably correct the error themselves. 

Now for the prior year returns ... you CAN file them now if you wish ...each tax year MUST be filed on the correct tax year forms ...

How to prepare a prior year return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-prepare-a-prior-year-tax-return/00/25...

Should I Amend

Will they correct bit if it's because I entered in multiple years w2's already? I'm not sure what the hell is going on?

Should I Amend

When I entered in my w2's for 2019 ,it had boxes for past years ,and I entered them because I didn't want to owe money!!

Should I Amend

Well I would prepare an amended return so if the IRS corrects your original return you can see if it is right.  

Then you will still have to file the prior years if you didn't file them.  Or amend any prior year returns to add the W2.

Should I Amend

I am not sure what boxes you saw in the program but you have never been able to mix tax years.   Since the IRS is matching the W-2 info the employer sends you and what you report on the return are cross referenced.  Since the IRS has stopped your return in processing then that is what they must be doing and they will most likely find and correct your error.  Do NOT amend the 2019 return until they are done reviewing your return. 

Should I Amend

Where did it have boxes for past years?  On the W2 entry screen?  I have no idea what you could have been seeing.  Was it at the end?  It does ask for your 2018 AGI to efile 2019.

Should I Amend

Yes you can prepare an amended return but do NOT mail it in until you see what the IRS does first ... doing so could make a bad situation much much worse.  

If you are worried about the stimulus check then there is not much you can do about it now ... if you miss getting the money now you will have a chance to get it on the 2020 return you file next year. 

Should I Amend

The stimulus check on the other hand shouldn't be a problem though,correct?

Should I Amend

That is something only the IRS can answer ... there are no rules, regs or precedents to look at ...  that said there is nothing you can really do about the 2019 return right now and unless you go to a paid tax pro that can still efile a 2018 return mailing in a 2018 return now will also probably not help in time for the stimulus check ... good news is if you do not get it in advance now you would be eligible when you file the 2020 return. 

Should I Amend

I'm not as much concerned about the return ,than I am the stimulus check. 

So I'm not get a stimulus check,and am not eligible?

Should I Amend

You don't have to file a return now.  

If you’re not required to file taxes and don’t receive Social Security benefits, use our free Stimulus Registration for non-tax filers to give the IRS your up-to-date mailing address and direct deposit banking info.

Find the Register Now orange button on this page (scroll down)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check

Should I Amend

OK ... PLEASE  quit pushing the TT register now option ... the OP has already FILED a return AND   it is under review so the option to register will NOT work ... it will be rejected.    

Try running thru that option using a fake return to see all the warnings that option has.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies