turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I amend my return in this situation?

Filed my return in February. It was accepted and I received a refund. Last week I received a W-2 from a previous employer which I forgot about.  Gross income on that form is only about 1k.  The questions are:

1. Should I amend my return right away or wait to receive a letter from IRS? I'm a little confused because some people say you have to amend it, but than on IRS website it says: "You also usually won’t have to file an amended return because you forgot to include forms, such as W-2s or schedules, when you filed — the IRS will normally request those forms from you."

2. If I have to amend it: Should I only attach one W-2 form that I forgot to report or I have to attach all the forms(even those that I already reported)?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You should amend, as soon as it becomes available. Yes, you can wait for an IRS letter, but if you owe, there may be penalties that accrue until you get the letter.

Just attach the single W-2.

Yeah my refund will go down a little and I guess I will have to return the difference to IRS. Thank you!

@ColeenD3 One more question. I started amendment process and once I added the missing income from W-2 form my state refund went down to 0 (before it was 40$). Should I still amend state return or maybe I can just send them a payment of 40$?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

When you amend your return, you will just be adding the omitted W-2 to the original return you filed so it will be a "complete" return for all your income and deductions.

Generally, we do not suggest it file an amended return until your initial return has been fully processed.

You can complete the amended return in TurboTax.

The states and IRS share information, so if you amend your federal return and it affects your state return, you need to also amend your state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies