Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

return rejected IND 507

My federal and state returns were rejected. I got a "IND 507 notice. I have 3 dependents. All are grandchildren. the message says one of my dependents has been used by someone else. How do I find out which of the dependents was used by someone else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

return rejected IND 507

You cannot find out and the IRS will not tell you.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the error IND-507 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-r0000-507-01-a-dependent-on-your-ret...

return rejected IND 507

I understand they won't tell me who claimed the dependent but they won't even tell me which one was claimed ?

return rejected IND 507

@shayne0941 wrote:

I understand they won't tell me who claimed the dependent but they won't even tell me which one was claimed ?

No, the IRS will not tell you even that.

The error code you received may have dash (-) after 507 with a number.  The number may indicate which dependent was claimed based on the order of the dependents entered on your tax return.

return rejected IND 507

YES IRS reject code  DOES indicate which dependent was reported on another tax return.

IND-501-2 refers to the second dependent being reported on another return.

IND-507-6 refers to the sixth dependent being reported.

If the dependent TRULY should be YOUR dependent - child lived with you more night than with the other parent  MAIL the paper return that was rejected to the correct IRS service center for your zip code WITH a cover letter indicating which nights the dependent slept at YOUR house.  INCLUDE letters form the physician AND the school on their letterhead confirming the dependent's address is YOUR address, as shown on the tax return.

It MAY take some time to sort this out, but it WILL be resolved in your favor when time permits.

Pilotgal8   Enrolled Agent

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies