Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected for SPOUSE AGI efiled

It is happening again in 2024 for our 2023 return.  I have entered our 2022 AGI as instructed by TT.  Rejected.

In TT there is no question that asks for the AGI of a spouse, there is no IRS line for that on a return.  Tried zero, then tried blank.  All rejected.  I will not continue with TT if this is not resolved by next year.  My refund will now be delayed for weeks!  I have never had this happen before, a loyal customer for almost 20 years.  Not a happy camper at the moment.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you filed jointly for 2022, enter the same number for both you and your spouse's AGI. 

Unless you filed an Amended Return for 2022, here's How to Find Last Year's AGI. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jjsilva18

I am having the same exact issue. I have the correct AGI from the 2022 return for my spouse, first time filing jointly. I have tried putting in $0, tried putting the amount on the 2022 return, still rejected. It's getting very very frustrating. Been rejected 4 times, after TurboTax has already charged me. Go figure. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The IRS uses your prior year AGI to combat fraud.   

You can find your 2022 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by: 

• Looking at line11 on page 1 of your 2022 Form 1040; or 
  • You can request a transcript of your 2022 tax return from the IRS to ensure you have the right number. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Check these items as well to ensure you have the correct number.  If you: 

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0. 
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A). 
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less. 
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2022 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you). 

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return. 

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jjsilva18

I have the 2022 1040 and the correct AGI for my spouse on line 11 of her tax return. I have submitted that multiple times trough TurboTax. I am still getting rejected by the IRS. I have changed our filing to show $0 for her 2022 AGI as suggested, and still getting rejected. If I have no recourse except for mailing them in, wouldn't it be prudent or at least helpful for TurboTax to tell me that? 

That does not work. I've been using TT for 12 yrs and this is the first time my returns were rejected. All of my info is accurate and I'm sure most everyone else has good data also with this AGI Spouse reject. There is an error in the TT software code. I have been seeing this pop up numerous places and folks are getting angry. Since I have had this issue and began looking for a solution that will work other people that haven't are trying to give advice that will not work. TT needs to figure this out ASAP.  

This may be my last year with TT because I don't see them offering up a resolution either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies