Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Zazzle
Returning Member

Refund offset. Stimulus payment method?

I have already E-filed my 2019 tax returns; my direct deposit information was also included. After my return was processed and approved, my refund was offset and taken by the treasury for defaulted student loans. As a result, nothing was sent via direct deposit to my bank.

Does this impact the method in which I will receive my stimulus payment? Considering the bank info was listed on my return, does this ensure my stimulus payment will be direct deposited, even though my refund was offset? Or will I receive a check in the mail since the bank info was never used?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The offsets have been suspended on the stimulus checks, except for child support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mkellman

I'm in the same situation but the question that was asked was about how the stimulus would be sent- check or direct deposit? Our 2018 taxes didn't have banking info. on it so we are very unsure how we should receive stimulus. I understand it can't be offset (student loans.) Thanks!

That's what my understanding was too but I just now filed and Turbotax deducted my owed tax from my $600 stimulus!? My email is [email address removed], that is if you have a reply to this bcause I most likely will miss it here....if you have information would be great!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies