Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received Form 2439. Need to amend 2021 return which has been been accepted and refund issued. How?

I eFiled my 2021 Federal Income Tax return using Windows TurboTax Premier 2021. It was accepted and a refund issued. I then received a Form 2439, "Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains". I'm thinking that I need to file an amended return. I need help knowing how to do this in Premier 2021. I don't know which forms on my return need to be modified or how to do it. I started the "Amend a Return" process in Premier 2021 but can't figure out what to change to reflect the Form 2439. I need some fairly detailed help because I don't have a clue how to do this amendment. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Received Form 2439. Need to amend 2021 return which has been been accepted and refund issued. How?

In 2021 TurboTax Premier for Windows:

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on."
  • On the page "Your 2021 Income Summary" scroll down to the Investment Income section.
  • Click the Start or Update button for "Undistributed Capital Gains."
  • Follow the prompts to enter your Form 2439.

TurboTax will put the information from the Form 2439 in the proper place on your tax return.

View solution in original post

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A quicker way to get to the right place is to type "Form 2439" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to form 2439."

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In 2021 TurboTax Premier for Windows:

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on."
  • On the page "Your 2021 Income Summary" scroll down to the Investment Income section.
  • Click the Start or Update button for "Undistributed Capital Gains."
  • Follow the prompts to enter your Form 2439.

TurboTax will put the information from the Form 2439 in the proper place on your tax return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A quicker way to get to the right place is to type "Form 2439" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to form 2439."

rjs. Thank you. Now I just need to make sure that I mail the correct forms. 1040-X says hat I should "attach supporting documents and new and changed forms and schedules". Can I just staple them all together and mail them off? Thanks again for the help.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Since you e-filed your original tax return, you should be able to e-file the amended return. It's worth a try. It might get processed somewhat faster that way, though it will still take many months.

If you mail it, then yes, you staple everything together with the 1040-X and mail it. The Form 1040-X goes on top. Don't forget to sign the 1040-X. You should mail it by a service that gives you tracking and confirmation of delivery, such as certified mail with a return receipt. Keep a copy of everything that you send.

You will have to include at least the Form 1040-X and Schedule D. I would also attach a copy of the Form 2439. The Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains will increase your AGI, so other things could be affected that depend on AGI but are not directly related to capital gains. Check to see if any other forms or schedules changed. Since you are adding income, you probably owe additional tax on Form 1040-X line 20, so enclose a check for the amount that you owe.

If your state has income tax, you probably have to amend your state tax return as well. That gets mailed separately to a different address.

Thanks for al your help!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies