turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pandebank

How to report intrest income from the irs

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PeterM

That depends on if it is included in box 1 (regular interest payment) or box 3 (US treasury Interest) on the 1099-INT Form.

If the amount is included in box 1, then just include the interest income as you would id it had come from anybody else such as SmithBarney, Edward Jones, Bank of America, etc...

If the amount is included in box 3, then you start the process to enter the information as you would for ordinary interest income, however...you must check the box that states "My form has info in more than just box 1 (this is uncommon)." This will bring up several other boxes (all numbered to match the 1099-INT). Then you simply enter the income into Box 3 in Turbo Tax. Finally, continue to follow the on-screen prompts about your particular situation.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PeterM

That depends on if it is included in box 1 (regular interest payment) or box 3 (US treasury Interest) on the 1099-INT Form.

If the amount is included in box 1, then just include the interest income as you would id it had come from anybody else such as SmithBarney, Edward Jones, Bank of America, etc...

If the amount is included in box 3, then you start the process to enter the information as you would for ordinary interest income, however...you must check the box that states "My form has info in more than just box 1 (this is uncommon)." This will bring up several other boxes (all numbered to match the 1099-INT). Then you simply enter the income into Box 3 in Turbo Tax. Finally, continue to follow the on-screen prompts about your particular situation.

jarvis89

the letter says I received a credit there are no boxes

jarvis89

what do I do?

Who is it from?  What's it for?  Is it the 1444 B letter?  That's just confirming they sent you the second round Stimulus payment.  I got one yesterday.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies