turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paper Return

Has anyone else gotten or heard from the IRS about their paper return? I wasn't able to eFile this year for whatever reason so I mailed my taxes in by mail. They say to wait about 8 weeks and it has definitely been longer than that. I also have called and I cannot get through to an actual agent because of their high call volume. I'm just not sure how much longer I should wait.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies

Paper Return

did you use a mailing method where you got proof of delivery?  always a good idea for a mailed tax document.

estimates to receive a refund for a paper return have ranged from 4 to 8 months. 

have you checked the IRS refund website?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds 

Paper Return

@mariahparis - assume there is 6 month backlog on paper returns.  One other person posted last week that they submitted paper return on Feb 1 and last week received a letter from the IRS that their return will be processed in about 60 days - so that is 6 months. 

Most of the IRS backlog is paper returns.  

Paper Return

same here. I have proof of delivery that they received my return mid Feb but the Where's my refund and tax transcript show no return filed so far. I have never filed paper before (someone that wasn't supposed to be able to claim my child did so Turbo Tax info said it had to be filed paper) so it has been causing some anxiety

Paper Return

@justme7071 - are you familiar with IRS PINs?

PINs preclude anyone who doesn't know the PIN from claiming your dependents.... and presumably you would be the only one who knows it. 

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

Paper Return

This is great information. Thank you. I had no idea

Paper Return

@justme7071 - once you request and are issued a PIN, you MUST enter that PIN to be able to efile - 

Since the IRS knows that certain SS#s are associated with that specific PIN, it will not accept an efiled return unless the PIN is used.  And presumably, you are the only one who knows the PIN so only you can efile.

that will force someone trying to claim your dependents to paper file.  THe IRS will scrutinize those returns very closely because they know the dependent SS#s are associated with a PIN and the PIN was not used on the paper return (because only you know it) 

a new PIN is issued each year as additional security protection. 

give it a try! 

Paper Return

IRS is now encouraging all taxpayers to get on the IP PIN list.

as mentioned, this will not stop another person from claiming your dependent on a paper tax return.

If they file before you do, the IP PIN is no help.

Paper Return

@fanfare 

<<If they file before you do, the IP PIN is no help.>>

not true; even if paper filed, the IRS will scrutize the return closely because it knows that the person who submitted return did not include the PIN on the 1040 Form and the PIN that should have been used is not assigned to the SS# of the submitter.  It raises all kinds of 'red flags'.  It is plenty of help., 

Paper Return

Delayed by two weeks

Paper Return

I meant, it will not allow you to e-File, and you will have to file on paper.

Meanwhile, I don't think an IP PIN gives you extra "points" in resolving who is eligible for the dependent.

Paper Return

@fanfare - agreed no 'extra points' but more likely the person who legitimately can claim the dependent is the more likely party to obtain the PIN and may force the other party to 'stand down'.

Paper Return

Couldn't file my online 2021 tax return with Turbotax because of the 2020 AGI snafu (wouldn't accept the AGI from my actual 2020 return).   This necessitated filing a paper return on February 3.  It is now June 16 and I haven't received my refund or any correspondence from the IRS

Paper Return

figure it will be 6-9 months due to the IRS backlogs esp. related to paper. 80% of the backlog is paper filed returns.  Just have patience. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue#coll...

As of June 1, 2022, we had 10.5 million unprocessed individual returns which include returns received before 2022, and new tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 2 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 8.5 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies