turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Offset refund timeline. has anyone got their refund after an offset yet?

I knew I owe and have asked multiple times if it will delay the rest of my refund and they keep telling me no. well I called yesterday and was told it will be another 2 to 3 weeks from 2/24 before I can get a DDD. is anyone else waiting on refund or delay because of that? also if you have receive your can you tell how long did you have to wait? thanks in advance for your input.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you are subject to an offset, call 1-800-304-3107 and this automated line will tell you the exact amount of the offset that you are subject to and will also provide you the contact information for the agency that is due to receive your refund if you do not already have this information.

Normally it is true that the offset does not delay the receipt of the refund that is not subject to offset, but there may be other reasons for a delay to your direct deposit.

This information will not give you any dates, but at least will let you know the amounts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I called the number and it says there is nothing for us in their database. 

mrodr78

Same thing happened when I just called to see who was the collector and the amount, they told me they had nothing in their records.

Wmr says I should receive my DDD by Mar 2, 2020. As of today I cant even access the wmr because they already took my offset plus penalties which I domt know what mu new refund amount is. Im stressed

Ljones
Returning Member

I’ve had an offset for 3 years in a row and it never affected anything but you have to press number 1 and number 2! I pressed 1 had nothing pressed to had an offset and it updates daily

youngfest when did you file?

When you call there are two choices - one is debt incurred to non-consumer and govt agencies and the other to consumer agencies and personal. Check BOTH of them, don't assume you understand the definition of either. I owe a state obligation for which I entered a payment agreement but wasn't sure if that meant my federal refund would still be offset. I had been checking only one (the first one) thinking it's not a consumer issue and it told me there was no debt connected to my social security number. Then WMR said my refund would be partially or totally offset so I called again and it still said I owed nothing, but then I thought I should check the other option. Sure enough, the information for the offset was there. Now I wait to see how long that will take to process before I get the remainder of my tax refund. Hope this helps.

nalani001 I did that too and still nothing but my account balance from the IRS site is now at a $0 balance so I guess I just have to wait on a DDD WMR is still saying the same message :(

Good luck and hope it all comes out well in the end. I'm waiting to see when/if I do get the refund. The amount of the offset is kind of random but I guess I won't know why that particular amount until I get the notification.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS doesn’t provide any projections for how long an offset will delay returns, but it's typically not a lengthy delay.

You can verify whether your refund will "offset" any child support debt by calling the Bureau of the Fiscal Service's Treasury Offset Program.  

You'll find the number in the IRS' Topic Number 203 - Reduced Refund.   

If this is putting you into financial hardship, please see this link:Taxpayer Advocate Service

Continue to monitor your refund on the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies