turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not able to amend a return for tax year 2020?

When I filed my return for 2020 in February, I discovered that a 1099 was duplicated and caused my income to be double.   I discovered the error immediately when a payment voucher printed, and attempted to amend the return.

I am still unable to amend this return, as TurboTax says the IRS has not yet updated the forms to amend a 2020 return. In the meantime the stimulus bill passed, and I will not receive the $5,600 due to the error. Instead of a $5,300 refund I am faced with a $10,700 tax bill. 

I talked to a tax professional who said he could e-file an amended return for me (at a cost of $200). I don't want to do that since I already paid for Turbotax.

When will Turbotax be updated to allow a tax year 2020 return to be amended? This is important!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

The IRS Form 1040-X for amending a 2020 tax return is scheduled to be available on 03/25/2021 (subject to change)

View solution in original post

4 Replies

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

The IRS Form 1040-X for amending a 2020 tax return is scheduled to be available on 03/25/2021 (subject to change)

Thanks for the quick response. However, the return I need to amend is for the tax year 2020, not 2019. When you try to do that, it says that the IRS has not yet updated it's forms to amend a TY 2020 return. That's why I inquired as to when Turbotax will be updated. I have a tax payment of $10,613 due April 15, and I do not owe the money. It takes soooo long for the IRS to process an amended return that I need to get things started ASAP.

@HerbieK wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. However, the return I need to amend is for the tax year 2020, not 2019. When you try to do that, it says that the IRS has not yet updated it's forms to amend a TY 2020 return. That's why I inquired as to when Turbotax will be updated. I have a tax payment of $10,613 due April 15, and I do not owe the money. It takes soooo long for the IRS to process an amended return that I need to get things started ASAP.

Sorry, the link has changed...This is the correct link for amending a 2020 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

I thank you for your help. 

I contacted the IRS to inquire about how to go back and request the Economic Impact Payment. According to the person I spoke with, once the amended return is processed it is possible to go to IRS.gov/RRC and file for the stimulus payments. They said it could be e-filed. Hopefully this will be the case!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies