Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cathiexu
Returning Member

Need to file form 8606 after return submitted (before tax filing deadline)

Hi,  I used Turbotax to generate my tax return for  tax year 2022, and it's been mailed to IRS (not processed yet). However, I just realized it didn't include form 8606 (I had backdoor conversion to Roth), so I should have attached this form. 

The tax filing deadline is Oct  2023 for extreme weather impacted California residents, and I'm eligible for extended deadline. Questions:

1. Do I need to file form 8606 only to IRS, or include all 1040 forms? 

2. Should I pay for late filing penalty? Technically the filing deadline is Oct 2023 and now it is still before deadline, does my situation constitute late filing?

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

The proper way to file missing Form 8606 is attached to Form 1040-X.
Form 8606 can be mailed by itself only when you are otherwise not required to file a tax return.

Do you have the correct taxable amount on Line 4b and did not take a deduction?

Get Form 1040-X from IRS website and mail it in with your 8606, which you can also get in fillable PDF.
Note: since you are not changing any dollar amounts on your amended tax return, you can leave all the lines 1-23 EMPTY.

Part III explanation: "didn't include Form 8606 with paper return".

Done this way, you sign 1040-X, not 8606

@cathiexu 

cathiexu
Returning Member

@fanfare, thanks for your reply!

On my mailed 1040 for 2022, based on saved draft, it shows [4a] = $6k,  [4b]  = $0, so I don't think there is problem with my taxable income reflected on 1040 (And this implies that I did add Roth Conversion to software but not sure why 8606 wasn't generated eventually). In this case, should I only mail 8606 alone? 

In addition, in either case, should I also mail the same thing to California state? Thanks!

If you mail 8606 alone, IRS will send it back to you. (see recent forum post on this topic)

CA doesn't have Form 8606.

@cathiexu 

cathiexu
Returning Member

Thanks @fanfare ! One last question, can I file 1040x+missing 8606 now (the original tax return is not processed yet)? Or is it better to file until original return is proceed?

many thanks! 

if you are getting a refund, you can wait for that refund.

If you are not getting a refund, you will not know when your 1040 has been processed by IRS.

returns without a refund get low priority.

@cathiexu 

The form 8606 is only needed if you had  non deductible contributions to report ... a conversion from a 401K or IRA  to a ROTH should not need one. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies