Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My return was rejected due to data on 8915-F. TurboTax wont let me remove FEMA # entry on line C in order to refile

I submitted my return using TurboTax Desktop. Both my federal and state taxes were rejected. The federal tax return was rejected do to data in the return is missing or invalid. It said to review the information that appears on Form 8915-F, Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments.

- If there is a FEMA number listed on line C, it must be valid. federaly declared disaster number, and must be formatted as XX-NNNN-ST, where XX is either DR or EM, NNNN is a four digit number, and ST is a valid state abbreviation.

- If box D is checked, no FEMA number should be listed on line C.

If corrections are needed, do not attempt to make them on the 8915-F. Go to the 8915-E worksheet, and make the changes in the smart worksheet at the top of the form.

So I went and checked the PDF for my return. There is an entry in line C, which is not in the correct format. But also Line D is checked, so I should not have a FEMA number in line C. However I do not know how I go about and remove that entry in line C.

Any help so I can fix that entry and remove it so I can re-file would be great.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

89 Replies

My return was rejected due to data on 8915-F. TurboTax wont let me remove FEMA # entry on line C in order to refile

Same exact thing is happening to me! Turbotax please help!

Same thing happened to me but this line is blank on my returns. I don't know why it is rejecting.

I think I figured out how to fix it! On the retirement section, I unchecked the box that ask "If this was a coronavirus related distribution check here" and clicked continue. On the next page it asks which disaster are you referring to, I chose a random one (I think the first one was an alabama one) I went to file so I can check the pdf preview and it no longer showed "coronavirus" on line C and instead it showed the Alabama FEMA number. I then went back to the retirement section and went back to where it asked me to specify which disaster I'm referring to and instead of the Alabama, I chose the blank entry at the top. I then went to file to check the pdf and I confirmed that Line C was now blank. THEN I went back to the retirement section a 3rd time, and this time I checked the box that says "If this was a coronavirus related distribution check here". After that I went straight to the file section (I did not just click continue in the income section because they ask you more question about the retirement stuff, I just skipped that and went straight to the file section) and now on the PDF preview, line C is blank and line D is check marked. I just resubmitted it, hope they accept it this time, I can update here if it was successful but it looks fixed to me!

I called 1-800-4-INTUIT ([phone number removed]) and spoke with them and we walked through it.

If you actually go to FORMS in the upper right corner of the TurboTax Desktop App. Then scroll down to the the form 8915-E which is the worksheet. You will see Block 1 FEMA #, you can then delete that entry and then if you look on the next form 8915-F you will see it is deleted. Save your return and re-file it.

I went ahead and just re-filed mine and looked at my forms again and that entry in line C is gone.

Nice that sounds easier haha! Mines was accepted also!

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

You can remove the  entry in line C in forms mode.  You can access forms in TurboTax Desktop by following these steps:

1. click forms in the upper left-hand corner.  
  2. Scroll down the forms until you see 8915-F
  3. Click 8915-F worksheet
  4. Remove entry to line C

If you are still experiencing the issue after following these steps, please respond to this thread.

@jdkluck 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I access "Forms Mode" in the web version of Turbo Tax?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please try these steps to fix the rejection issue and delete the line C entry (if you only had the Covid Distribution):

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen I selected the blank entry and click "back
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and continue.

Another option is to delete "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.

@jdkluck 

@drwho1 

I see the option on the left hand side for "Tax Tools" with a drop down arrow. When I click it the arrow changes directions but nothing populates. I realize I am supposed to select "Tools" but there is no option to select anything whatsoever. 

Disregard previous reply, I had to log out and log back in and it worked. 

@drwho1 wrote:

I see the option on the left hand side for "Tax Tools" with a drop down arrow. When I click it the arrow changes directions but nothing populates. I realize I am supposed to select "Tools" but there is no option to select anything whatsoever. 

The last answer provided was when using the TurboTax online editions.  You are using the desktop editions.

Click on Forms.  Located in the upper right of the desktop program screen for Windows or left using Mac

You can remove the  entry in line C in forms mode.  You can access forms in TurboTax Desktop by following these steps:

1. click forms in the upper left-hand corner.  
  2. Scroll down the forms until you see 8915-F
  3. Click 8915-F worksheet
  4. Remove entry to line C
gvekjwdf

same with me here

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Please try these steps to fix the rejection issue:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen I selected the blank entry and click "back
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and continue.

Another option is to delete "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.
mcac26
Returning Member

I had the same issue rejected return due to FEMA Number . easy fix.

1.go to forms select form 8915E.

2. just delete and leave blank FEMA Disaster #

you can confirm the removal by just clicking the 8915F form section C will now be blank.

file return...accepted

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies