Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

My employer owes me a refund? Never heard of that before?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

My employer owes me a refund? Never heard of that before?

Where are you receiving that message? If you are receiving that message in TurboTax, please copy and paste that message in your response so we can look into it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

My employer owes me a refund? Never heard of that before?

Probably this


There are 2 different situations when it will say Employer may have paid too much Social Security.  It's saying either 1 employer took out too much SS -OR- that you paid too much SS because you had more than 1 employer.  This should cover both.


More than 1 Employer:

For 2019,  If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2019 W2s  for Social Security is more than $8,239.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 schedule 3 line 11 for it.  Then schedule 3 goes to 1040 Line 18d.  If only one employer took out more than $8,239.80 you have to get the difference back from that employer and get a corrected W2 form.


One Employer:

Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2. Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $8,239.80.   So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.  But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.


Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.


A sure way to fix this is to delete the W2 and re-enter it.  That may clear something out.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies