Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It's been more than a month since the IRS received my tax return and I haven't heard anything back yet, im worried that I messed up my tax return. Is that normal?

Why is my federal tax return taking so long, even after I received my state return?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

It's been more than a month since the IRS received my tax return and I haven't heard anything back yet, im worried that I messed up my tax return. Is that normal?

Most refunds are processed within two weeks, so it does seem possible that there is an issue with yours.  May not be anything you did, but it would be worth it to call the IRS and ask what is going on with your return.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, the fact it is taking longer doesn't mean that your return is wrong. The IRS is being more careful about issuing refunds this year because of the massive tax fraud that is attempted every year. 

Please use Where's my refund? to track your refund. If there is an issue with your return, you will see a message there, or receive a letter in the mail. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I called and spoke with someone from the IRS yesterday because it's been more than a month for me as well. They looked into mine and said nothing was wrong, the IRS is just very backed up at the moment.

I am glad you called and nothing was wrong.  That is better than worrying about it.

IRS says:

"Your return is under review.

We'll get back to you within 180 days if we need more information."

---

That's the new improved customer service.

What number did you call? Because I tried calling and just got an automated message which did the same and checking the website with (where's my refund).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies