turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

knott00

Is anyone else unable to access their prior years tax return if it was filed with the free edition?

I understand that I need to upgrade to Plus in order to access my 2017 return, I am fine with that. However, I am unable to upgrade to Plus due to a system update on Turbo Tax's end that isn't going to be completed until December. So I have no way to get my tax information which was entrusted to Turbo Tax in a timely manor.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
mdbpitchick
Returning Member

Is anyone else unable to access their prior years tax return if it was filed with the free edition?

I'm having the exact same problem. I need my two most recent tax returns for a home loan. I usually save digital and print hard copies of my tax returns, but something happened to my return from 2017 and I'm unable to find it.  I contacted Intuit and they said I can get it a copy through the IRS, but it's my understanding that could take 75 days (which I don't have). 

There's got to be an easier way.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

@mdbpitchick Ask your lender if a Tax Return Transcript will suffice. Transcript requests are generally faster than a request for a tax return.

From this IRS link:

"Delivery times for online and phone orders typically take five to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request. You should allow 30 days to receive a transcript ordered by mail and 75 days for copies of your tax return."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The ONLINE  system has permanently closed and is presently in transition from 2018 to 2019 versions.  

While the millions of returns are being archived the PDF download for tax year 2018 will only include the forms and schedules needed to file your tax return.  The worksheets and other pages are not included in the PDF until the 2019 online editions become available sometime in December 2019.

To access the PDF, log into the website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If your prior returns are locked then you must upgrade to PLUS & pay for the PLUS upgrade to unlock them... however this can ONLY be done when the ONLINE system is operational.  Right now the system is down while it gets transitioned to the 2019 version ... this blackout period happens every year. 

Purchasing the current year software does not give you access to the prior year online tax returns.  You have to upgrade the online account to access those tax returns.

You will not be able to upgrade to the Plus edition for tax year 2018 since the TurboTax online editions for 2018 have closed to make way for the 2019 online editions.  Once the 2019 online editions become available in December, at that time you can start a 2019 return and upgrade to Plus.

Note:  Every year, before mid-October, print a copy of your current year tax return and save it as a tax file and PDF, too.  That way you will have it when you need it for school, a loan, next year’s tax return, etc. without going through a lot of aggravation (and expense)  to get it.

Save as tax file :

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899645-how-do-i-save-my-2018-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data...

Save as PDF:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1912544-how-do-i-save-my-2018-turbotax-online-return-as-a-pdf

mdbpitchick
Returning Member

@PaulaM I've already tried to obtain a transcript online, but for some reason the IRS cannot verify my phone number.  I now have to wait 5-10 days for them to send me a code in the mail to verify my identity just to order the transcript. This whole experience has been really frustrating.

Well never let it happen again ... keep a paper copy of the return or at least a PDF on your computer ... you just need to download one timely when you use the free version.  Easiest time to do so is when you are in the FILE tab ... in step 2 you are given the option to view/print the return  since the law says you must have access to the return before you file it ... instead of just looking at the return SAVE the PDF right then and there.   Remember anything that is free has strings or shortcomings . 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies