Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Gypsyj60

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If we filed with TurboTax, does the IRS have our bank information to have the stimulus direct deposited? Will we me the mailed recipients of the check?

I filed my 2019tax refund, should I get my stimulus payment also?

fmauro19
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If we filed with TurboTax, does the IRS have our bank information to have the stimulus direct deposited? Will we me the mailed recipients of the check?

@Lintax  Thank you

Thanks @DaveF1006. We certainly hope so!

I just spoke with a turbo card rep and they said we will absolutely be getting a direct deposit. It does not matter what bank you use. The IRS does not see what bank we use just the account and routing numbers. The rep said we will have our direct deposit in 2-3 days

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Here is the latest statement we received:

“The IRS is sending stimulus payments to eligible taxpayers who filed a tax return in either 2019 or 2018 and chose direct deposit, and is depositing some stimulus payments onto prepaid debit cards for filers that chose to receive their refund through that method.

For the majority of prepaid debit card holders there is nothing more to do as the stimulus payment will be deposited to their account. If your customer no longer has access to their debit card, we encourage them to visit https://turbodebitcard.intuit.com

The IRS is launching “Get My Payment” where you can track your stimulus payment as well as update banking information if your payment has not yet been issued.

It is slated to be active next week by April 17th.

IRS Get My Payment

If you don’t have to file a tax return, you can register with the IRS as a non-filer:

IRS non-filer registration

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just spoke directly to a rep and they said we will get it on our turbo card

I can’t answer that definitively, especially since this is new territory for us, but I would think YES. The IRS would have your actual banking information and should be able to issue stimulus payments accordingly. Think of how many people use a tax service vs direct filing with the IRS... that’s why you can see your actual account information on your forms. We authorize these filing services to have access first, but the IRS has our direct information on file. They understand the difference.

@DaveF1006  I’ll quote my prior post, so you understand the concern: 

The problem is, we don’t know that the info on the 1040 is what was ultimately  transmitted to the IRS.  There was probably a switcharoo that happened to facilitate the SBTPG processing.”

In other words, the IRS may have gotten SBTPG’s routing info in lieu of ours. That has yet to be clarified, by anyone.

(Bank deposit, not debit card.)

Thanks so much!

TurboTax cannot, legally, file a signed copy of your 1040 and transmit to the IRS a completely different copy with different information then what they give you to download as what was filed. What is on your 1040, for 2019, is what was filed with the IRS. If they were to sign one copy, than transmit a completely different copy, that is technically classified as Perjury on their part, and I don't believe that Intuit, with as big as they are, are willing to go that route, considering they own Quickbooks, TurboTax, possibly (if it hasnt happened already) Credit Karma. Whatever info is on your 2019 1040 form is what was filed, transmitted, and sent to the IRS. It is a legal copy.

@Lintax  Thank you! That’s the closest thing to a practical explanation I’ve seen yet - even with your caveat that you don’t know for sure.

Did you use the turbo card? 

@TopherLee2020 - that exact thought crossed my mind, but then I reasoned that perhaps the IRS allows this modification to facilitate electronic filing by intermediaries like SBTPG with no legal exposure. But I’m no lawyer, so who knows. If you’re right (which I hope!), I wonder how the refund gets to SBTPG first. 

All we need is for someone from TurboTax to clarify the process a little.

Are they paying turbo tax users by last name ?

@ JohnA-NJ thanks very much! Just one thing to add that may help in addition to @TopherLee2020 ‘s comments, is that your consent form to use a tax prep service is also sent to the IRS. The release of information includes: 

“TurboTax activity info: Info about when you take certain actions in TurboTax (when you access
TurboTax, whether you’re a new or returning TurboTax customer, whether you import your
prior year tax info to help prepare this year’s return, when you choose a refund method, how and when you pay for TurboTax, when you access or print your return, when you pay any tax balance due, whether and when you add any products or services such as MAX, Plus, or Audit Defense, when you submit and verify your e-filing info)”.

This allows the IRS to send payments through the various services banks but does not change our actual account information on file with the IRS. They still would file our actual personal information including bank info. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies