turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brnadyw

If i have a direct sales business but made less than $500 in commission so I was not sent a W-2. Do I still need to claim on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If i have a direct sales business but made less than $500 in commission so I was not sent a W-2. Do I still need to claim on my taxes?

Yes, if you have a business, you should receive a 1099-Misc reporting non-employee compensation; however if the compensation is less than $600.00, the payer is not required to send you that form. You still need to claim the income. The IRS requires that ALL income be reported. 

I have the same question. How do you report it? As hobby income? As other earned income?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Report commissions as self-employment income.

For entry information, please see the TurboTax Help article How do I report income from self-employment?.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies