Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

evony1616

If I had to amend due to unemployment law is the new refund amount correct or will it be that less what I already received

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I had to amend due to unemployment law is the new refund amount correct or will it be that less what I already received

You generally do not need to amend for Federal.

However, taxpayers would have to file an amended return if they did not originally claim the EITC or other credits, but now are eligible because the [unemployment comp] exclusion changed their income.  These taxpayers may want to review their state tax returns as well.

IRS to recalculate taxes on unemployment benefits; refunds to start in May | Internal Revenue Servic...

See these re State:

How is my state taxing unemployment income? (intuit.com)

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

An amended return (Form 1040X) only show the differences.   So, if you originally return indicated a refund of $500 and the amendment shows a $300 refund, you would receive a total of $800.   But as stated above, you don't have to amend if the only difference is the unemployment exclusion.   The IRS is manually processing those returns and issuing additional or adjusted refunds for returns that were filed before the legislative changes were made.   

It is going to take awhile to get 2020 tax returns settled, so be patient while tax refunds pieces are issued over the coming the months.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies