Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received another 1098-T form after submitting my taxes. What do now? Do I amend my taxes? If so how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I received another 1098-T form after submitting my taxes. What do now? Do I amend my taxes? If so how?

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.  The IRS does not allow you to take it back.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

The Form 1040X you need will not be available until late February.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Adding the 1098-T is optional and not required ... so if you already maxed out the education credit it is possible that adding another form will get you nothing more.   Wait for your original refund to fully process then check ... if there is no change don't bother filing the amended return. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Additionally, a 1098-T results in one of three things, 

NOTHING (expenses in Box 1 and scholarships in Box 5 are equal)

POSSIBLE INCOME (expenses in Box 1 are less than scholarships in Box 5)

POSSIBLE CREDIT ((expenses in Box 1 are more than scholarships in Box 5)

There are other factors involved, such as "Are you claimed as a dependent by another Taxpayer, such as your parents?"

Were there any distributions made form an education savings account or did the student receive any other type of educational assistance, such as from an employer?

Did the student have expenses not listed on a 1098-T. 

Was there an education credit issued? 

The main concern would be if the 1098-T results in tax due on taxable income since you would need to pay that tax by April 18th. 

As xmasbaby0 stated, you can't do anything until the original return has processed. 

@taylorferralez-g

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies