Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I mailed my amended return in 5 weeks ago and there is still no record of it on file why?

Sent mine certified on January 19, 2021.  It was received on January 22, 2021.  Still no information of any kind on the "Where's my amended return" page.  Today is March 23, 2021.  I have passed the 8 week mark with no acknowledgement of the IRS receiving it other than the USPS delivery receipt.

Has anyone ever received an update through "Where's my amended return"?  If so, how long did it take?  I understand the IRS is backed up.  I'm just looking for a frame of reference as to how long it is taking for other people in the same or similar situation I am in?

Has anyone received their amended return since COVID happened?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I mailed my amended return in 5 weeks ago and there is still no record of it on file why?

You may need to wait a bit longer for the system to update.  The IRS has had to implement many changes in the last few weeks so they may be taking a bit longer. 

It also takes longer for the IRS to process the mailed amended return.  Per the following link, the IRS indicates they are processing tax returns in the order the mail is received.

Where's my amended return information from the IRS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yeah, I assume it is just because a.) COVID screwed everything up for the past year, b.) it is tax season so the IRS is probably super busy normally this time of year, even without the pandemic, and c.) it is a paper return so that makes it slow to begin with, even when they are not busy.  

I just wish (and honestly expect) them to update their website to reflect this information and adjust their timeline accordingly.  That's not too much to expect.  Their website is extremely basic and could easily be updated to reflect current information.  I'm sure the time it would take to update their website is infinitesimal compared to the time they are spending answering calls from people trying to find out if the IRS received their return xx weeks ago.

Our tax dollars at work (or not at work) I guess....literally.

*** UPDATE ***
I checked the IRS website again today and viola! it now shows that it was received on January 25th, which is actually the Monday after the Post Office delivered it on Friday, January 22nd.  I'm not sure why it just now updated as I have been checking it a couple times a week for several weeks, but hey, at least they acknowledged they received it!

So, for those that run across this post in the same situation I am in - looking for some remnant of hope that your amended return isn't floating around in the nether,  hang in there!  🙄  Although their site still says to give their system 3 weeks before shows up after you mail it, my experience is 3x what the site says as today marked 9 weeks from delivery (USPS) to showing up in the IRS' system.  Whoa!

...and that is just showing it has been received.  If I use the adjusted timeline and take the new multiplication factor (3x) and 16 weeks, 3 x 16 = 48 weeks total.  So, it could likely be Christmas of this year before I get the results of the amended return I mailed in January.

Just giving you an "update" on my status- which is pretty much no update.  I mailed my amended return May 2020.  In November it finally showed up on the IRS website- saying it was received May 27th.  It showed that "take action" note with a number to call.  I finally decided to call it a couple of weeks ago.  Held for 38 minutes but got through (called at 7 am) anyway she said there's nothing wrong (No need to take any action) and that they are just very backed up.  Said she put notes in the account etc etc.  Still not processed as of today (4/8).  I'm owed quite a bit of money and I hear that the IRS has to pay interest if they owe you money so if that's true then at least there's that...  I'll try to remember to post when I finally receive the check!

Posting an update as promised.... amended return received May 27, 2020.  Amended return PROCESSED 

May 7, 2021- almost 1 year later.  Received in the mail today- with interest!  

Update from me - I am in the same scenario as Jennifer1974.  My status online changed to indicate that I need to call them with a "Take Action" notification (see attached pic).  I stayed on hold for 54 minutes.  When someone finally picked up she took my info, put me on hold again to check my account, and came back just to say that nothing was wrong and I didn't really need to call.  Can I get a what the....?  She did however say that they are still operating under the expected 16 turn around.  However I find that hard to believe based on everything I have read, especially the comments on this thread.  She also said that if more information is truly needed the IRS will also send a letter to your address explaining what is needed.  As of today, I have not received any correspondence from them so hopefully mine is still being processed.

Of course I will update as soon as I have more info.

IRS_ss1.png

Another update as things progress....my status has changed to "Your account was adjusted".  See the screenshot below.  Today marks the 26th week since the IRS acknowledged the receipt of my amended return.  I still have not received any correspondence so fingers crossed that this might actually get completed soon.  I will update as things change.  Hoping this helps someone.

Capture.PNG

CHECK CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY!  How funny....I had just posted the previous message earlier today, before checking the mail.  The refund check actually came in today's mail!  Like a previous poster said, they even included a little interest...$98.23.  I have no idea what the interest rate was or the time interval they used to calculate it, but almost $100 is just that much more than I was expecting.

So, to recap the sequence of events:
Mailed January 20, 2021
IRS shows received January 25, 2021
(IRS website did not actually post receipt acknowledgement until March 26, 2021)
IRS website status changed to "Take Action" June 5, 2021 although phone call to IRS showed no action needed.
IRS website status changed to "Adjusted" Friday July 23, 2021
Paper check received in the mail Monday July 26, 2021.

Essentially 26 weeks after I dropped my amended return in the mail, I received a paper check.

Good luck to all and I hope the posts and info on here helps someone.

Yep ... 6 months is currently the new norm for processing an amended return.  

Today is March 15th, 2022. I sent my Amended return on April 2021. I checked the "Where is my amended" page once every other week. On March 1st. 2022 finally they updated the status of my Amended it says "Take Action Please see below for additional info about your amended return. Your amended return was received on

April 22, 2021. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.  Please call 800-829-0582, extension 623, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return." I didn't call! Today I FINALLY received the check!! After almost a year! And they included interest! Hope this help everybody who is waiting :). It is coming!!

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for the update! We are glad you received your refund.

@wilma37111

It took me 4 weeks to receive my refund it said processing now it's saying

Screenshot_20220723-105049.png

You don't need to call ... if you do call  AND you actually get thru to a human you will probably not get any more information at this time.   Amended returns are taking 6 months to a year to process so simply check tha IRS site once every week or two to see if it is being processed yet. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies