Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm trying to e-file my amended returns for 2022. But it says the e-filing window was closed on October 31, 2023. I e-filed both federal and state returns.

The TurboTax agent I called earlier this year said I should be able to e-file my amended returns. The reason given was perhaps the 2022 returns were not processed and asked me to try again after April 2024.

This is a simple amendment as I received a corrected 1099 from my brokerage.

Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I'm trying to e-file my amended returns for 2022. But it says the e-filing window was closed on October 31, 2023. I e-filed both federal and state returns.

Your 2022 amended return will need to be mailed to the IRS.

Where to Mail 2022 Amended Returns

Your 2023 federal Form 1040-X amended return is eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax. However, there is a chance your return cannot be electronically filed. If this happens, you'll need to print and mail your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Cynthia.

I indeed submitted my federal and state taxes electronically using TurboTax. If TurboTax offers the option to electronically file amended returns, that's precisely what I require. My tax documentation exceeds 500 pages, making printing and mailing both federal and state amended returns extremely burdensome. Additionally, I had a really bad experience the last time I printed and mailed my returns.

I got the following message when I tried to e-file my amended returns:

Signature date must be 12_31_2023.png

Although I did not want to wrongly date my signature date, the Turbo Tax agent on the phone asked me to try to date the signature date 12/31/2023

I then got this message:

Oct 31 is last day to e-file.png

I clicked on amend a return using the 2022 version of Turbo Tax. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

From what I've read you can efile a 2022 amended return only from the Online version not the Desktop program, sorry.

Thanks VolvoGirl. Funny the TurboTax agent did not tell me this over the phone. In any case TurboTax should make it clear as most people I know, due to privacy of their data, choose to use the desktop version. 

Found my notes:

On Feb 20, 2024 an employee posted this……..
According to our tech support team, this is not a product defect. TurboTax Desktop for prior years does not support E-file for amendments like TurboTax Online does. Apparently, the signature date is the trigger for rejecting an e-file attempt.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/tt-desktop-won-t-let-me-e-file-2022-amen...

Thanks again VolvoGirl. The link you provided is super helpful to know that many other users are facing the same frustrations with Turbotax. It is a simple fix that will enhance their product.

CarolineW

I'm having the same issue.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You will need to paper file.

Efile for amended returns is only available for the current year. You must paper file amendments for prior year returns. 

Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies