turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I’m 23 y/o. 2018 taxes—I filed as independent. 2019 taxes I filed as dependent but my mom has NOT filed 2019 so hasn’t claimed me. Will I get $1,200 from stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I’m 23 y/o. 2018 taxes—I filed as independent. 2019 taxes I filed as dependent but my mom has NOT filed 2019 so hasn’t claimed me. Will I get $1,200 from stimulus check?

Please go to https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments for more information regarding your stimulus payment.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The link provided does not answer my question about my situation. Can someone please help and answer my question? Do I have to amend/change my already filed 2019 taxes to “independent” in order to get my $1,200 stimulus check?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

If your mother has already filed you as a dependent for 2019, then there is not much you could do. Any attempt by you to file an individual return now will get rejected by the IRS. You may want to have your mother amend her taxes which will take another 12 to 15 weeks to get processed as she will now be mailing her return. After, you could then file your own individual return. I know that defeats the purpose but that's the complication of amending and you refiling. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies